Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 2, Chapter V)

Note: This is the 24th chapter in my fantasy novel, Legends Lost: Galdin. You will see Book 2 and thn chapter 1 because I split the book into three parts, and we have reached part 2. There are 52 chapters total and I will post 1 chapter every Friday.  But if you wish to read the entire book now, it is available for purchase on Amazon, iBookstore, Kobo, B&N, and Smashwords.  

 Chapter V

 On the Run

 Vapors of moist air puffed before them as both Tami and Galdin ran through the small canyon trails that wormed their way through the mountains.  Spindly brush snatched their clothes attempting to halt them.  Sharp rock cut through their shoes as they pounded the earth with their feet.

With burning lungs they dashed onward as their pursuers closed in.  Both knew that the barbarians would chase them, but neither expected the speed with which they were found.  Thunder loomed behind them as their pursuers closed in.

They turned a corner hoping to shake their enemy.  Galdin seized Tami and pulled her close, away from the sunlight and into shadow.  They hunkered in the small hollow as the barbarians charged past with their armor and swords clanking loudly.  Like statues they stood watching with wide eyes as the army passed.  One man near the end stopped to fasten a strap on his boot.  The moment he turned his head, Galdin knew they had been spotted.

In a flash, Galdin shoved Tami to the side and plunged his sword into the back of the barbarian’s neck.  A quick glance told him the others hadn’t noticed.  He seized Tami and dragged her along backtracking the way they had come.  They ran back through the maze hoping that no one followed.

They raced back to where the channel began.  Glancing all around, Galdin kept his eyes peeled for more of the invaders.

“Wait,” said Tami, “Where are we going?”

“Away from here and them,” replied Galdin.

“But this is the wrong way,” said Tami.  “I told you, these channels are the only way through these lower hills.”

“We’ll have to find another way,” said Galdin.

Tami scanned the rock walls surrounding them.  “I guess we could climb.”

“What?”

She pointed upward.  “This looks like a good spot.”

Tami grabbed protruding rocks and hoisted herself up placing her feet carefully on the sides of the earthen wall.  With measured skill, she reached up for another handhold.  Bit by bit, she scaled the wall going upward toward the cleft above her.

Galdin followed.  He placed his hands and feet exactly where Tami had earlier.  With great effort he slowly moved up following the young woman knowing there was nowhere else for them to go.  Sweat covered his hands causing them to slip as he tried to grab the wall.  Hanging on, he reached again grasping the rough surface tightly.

Hugging the canyon wall, both Tami and Galdin inched upward to the ledge.  Tami reached it first.  She heaved herself onto the flat surface of the mesa followed closely by Galdin.

“There they are,” said Tami pointing at the black mass moving through the channels of the mountain.

“And how are we to get out of here?” asked Galdin.

“With this,” Tami pointed at a thin rock line bridging the crevices spread throughout the lower part of the mountains.  “These things are all over.  We can trek through the mountains above while they look for us down there.  Just don’t look down.”