Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 2, Chapter III)

Note: This is the 22th chapter in my fantasy novel, Legends Lost: Galdin. You will see Book 2 and thn chapter 1 because I split the book into three parts, and we have reached part 2. There are 52 chapters total and I will post 1 chapter every Friday.  But if you wish to read the entire book now, it is available for purchase on Amazon, iBookstore, Kobo, B&N, and Smashwords.  

Chapter III

Imprisoned

 The key clanked in the lock as the door opened and Galdin was thrust inside.  The guard slammed the door shut allowing it to bang loudly as he locked it once more.  Sighing, Galdin glanced around stopping when his eyes fell upon a teenage girl.

She wore a simple dress and stared back at him with the same amount of interest.  “So I suppose we are to be cellmates.”

“What are you doing here?”  The question came out ruder than Galdin had meant it to be.

“I woke up one day wondering what it would be like to be imprisoned by a bunch of ruthless barbarians.  So here I am.”

Not liking the sarcasm, Galdin meandered over to the slit in the wall and peered through it.  From what he saw, he deduced that he was in the mountains.

“It won’t work.”

Galdin faced the girl.

“You’re thinking about escaping, but it won’t work.  Well, your way won’t.”

“Do you have a name?” asked Galdin.

“Tami.”

“I am not content to stay here,” said Galdin as he studied the interior of the cell.

“Neither am I,” answered Tami, “But we are in the lower part of the Ársa Mountains, near the Perili.  We also happen to be in an abandoned fort built into the cliff face of the mountain.  The only known way out is through the front gate.”

The girl’s superior attitude annoyed Galdin.  “I’ll not be taking advice from a seventeen year old girl.”

“Nineteen,” huffed Tami, placing her hands on her hips.  “I am more than just a girl, you arrogant miscreant.”

Galdin chuckled softly to himself as he admired her spunkiness.

The hinges on the door squealed as it opened.  A single man dressed in armor and furs entered.  Tattoos ran up and down both his arms.  A metal plate covered his left eye as a scar ran from the forehead and past the plate down his left cheek.  A caved in section dotted his cheek where a chunk of flesh had obviously been torn out.  “Name?”

Galdin eyed the man.

The man snapped his fingers and a second soldier walked in seizing Tami, pinning her arms behind her back.

“Tell me your name,” said the man with the patch, “Or I will kill her.”

“Go ahead,” answered Galdin, “She means nothing to me.”

“Such the gentleman,” quipped Tami.

The man in charge eyed Galdin with his one good eye.  A smirk crossed his features.  “I believe you.”  He waved his hand and the man holding onto Tami released her.

Pulling out a crooked dagger, the man with the patch held it dangerously close to Galdin’s face.  “What if I take your eye, the way your father took mine.”  He ripped off the metal plate revealing the empty socket. 

It was then Galdin realized that the man who stood before him was Vasagius; the one who rebelled and was defeated.  Galdin kept his features stony, refusing to reveal anything.  “If you know who my father is, then you already know my name.”