Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 3, Chapter XV)

Note: This is the 47th chapter in my fantasy novel, Legends Lost: Galdin. There are 52 chapters total and I will post 1 chapter every Friday.  But if you wish to read the entire book now, it is available for purchase on Amazon, iBookstore, Kobo, B&N, and Smashwords.  

Chapter XV

Decisions

Nylana carefully wrapped a bandage around the cut in Ryk's arm.  Her nimble fingers unraveled the cloth with each pass she made. 

Ryk watched each movement of her hands never wincing once.  "You do that well," he said.

"I learned to long ago."  Memories of watching her mother dress wounds after Vasagius' rebellion flashed through her mind.  "You should be more careful."

Ryk lifted Nylana's chin peering into her green eyes.  "This is not like the last time."

"I'm not sure what you mean."

"I know of Vasagius' rebellion and of how he murdered your father.  This is not like before."

"Are you certain?  Whenever Vasagius appears I lose someone I love."

"Well, you will never be rid of me," said Ryk.

Nylana shot him a surprised look.

"You do a poor job of hiding it."

"I suppose I do."

Nylana allowed Ryk to wrap his arms around her for a moment.  She noticed Tami skulking through the encampment away from prying eyes.  Excusing herself, Nylana followed the girl.

Nylana found Tami seated alone in the moonlight; her knees drawn close as she hugged herself.  Curious about the girl's behavior, she moved closer.

"You should not sit so close to me," said Tami, downcast.

"Why not?"  Nylana took a place beside the girl.

"I ran away," said Tami, "I don't know why.  I saw the army of Vasagius and the men sneaking up on us and I got frightened.  I always thought that I was brave, but the sight of those men—I just couldn't face it.

"I am so useless.  My magic nearly always fails.  And now I have let you all down."

Nylana listened carefully.  She understood.  "Tami, you are no coward.  You are not the first to flee at such a sight, nor will you be the last.  You can regain their respect."

"How?"

"All men feel fear.  You must face it.  When we meet Vasagius again, you will stand on the front lines."

"I don't think I can," whispered Tami.

"You will.  Use the power that I know you have within you."

"But I failed you all," said Tami.

"You will only have failed us if you refuse to face Vasagius' men tomorrow."

"I am a simple girl," said Tami, "I was not raised to be brave and face dangers like you were.  It is difficult."

"And so it is with me," Nylana replied.  "Courage is never taught.  It is something you choose."

Tami turned away hugging her knees even more tightly.

Leaving the young girl to her thoughts, Nylana moved away feeling sorry for Tami.

A commotion caught her attention.  She hadn't realized that Krispyn and Galdin had called a meeting.  Knowing why she wasn't informed, Nylana marched toward the tent.