Legends Lost: Galdin (Book3, Chapter I)

Note: This is the 33th chapter in my fantasy novel, Legends Lost: Galdin, and we have begun Book 3. There are 52 chapters total and I will post 1 chapter every Friday.  But if you wish to read the entire book now, it is available for purchase on Amazon, iBookstore, Kobo, B&N, and Smashwords.  

Book Three

Sorrow's Triumph

 Mournful victory of shouts and cheers;

Oblivious to one man's sneer;

Of the traitor in their midst.

She learns Truth's dark secret

Of betrayal and all it begets.

And the sting of Sorrow's Triumph.

Chapter I

The Realm of the Dead

 The swollen bruise on Lord Trisk's cheek throbbed as he lay on the rough fibers of the rug in Vasagius' tent.  Breathing shallowly, he ignored the pain in his body as he willed his mind elsewhere.  Calloused hands seized his arms yanking him to his knees.  His head flopped to the side as he wished for unconsciousness.

Fingers grabbed his hair jerking his head back so that he looked into the malicious face of Vasagius.  Lord Trisk kept his face impassive refusing to reveal anything to this traitor.

"Lord Trisk," sneered Vasagius, "You didn't think I was going to let you die so easily did you?"

Lord Trisk remained silent.

"You were very vocal about my little rebellion making known how you thought I deserved death for trying to kill the royal family."

"You murdered the king and then hunted his wife and child down with impunity," spat Lord Trisk.

"It is time for the line of Tesnayr to come to an end," said Vasagius.

"With murder?"

"How do you think King Tesnayr achieved the throne?"

"He did not murder innocent people."

"No one's innocent."

"What do you want from me?" demanded Lord Trisk.

Vasagius smiled malevolently.  "I'm glad you asked.  Tell me about Galdin."

 *                  *                  *

 Trya stood in the darkness with Quesha as the portal sealed behind her.  Straightening her shoulders, the elf walked onward refusing to second guess her decision.  She had a job to do.

Crunch. 

Trya bent down and touched what her boot had broken: white bits of bones and shells.  She studied it frowning. 

"Don't believe your senses," said Quesha.  "This place is filled with the nightmares of others."

"So all souls are doomed to an eternity of misery?"

"No," replied Quesha, "Some do move on to a place of eternal joy.  But as most people are miserable in life, they remain so even in death."

"So there is no hope?"

"There was while the phoenix lived."  Quesha eyed Trya momentarily.  "Come.  Newly arrived souls are always on the farthest end of this place.  Galdin shall be there."

The darkness of the realm of the dead closed on them permeating their mood.  Carefully, Trya moved onward not liking the fact that she walked on old bones.  Imagined or not, it seemed real enough.  Eerie howls echoed around them.  Their incessant noise sent chills down Trya's back forcing her to pause momentarily.