Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 1, Chapter XV)

Note: This is the 15th chapter in my fantasy novel, Legends Lost: Galdin. There are 52 chapters total and I will post 1 chapter every Friday. But if you wish to read the entire book now, it is available for purchase on Amazon, iBookstore, Kobo, B&N, and Smashwords.

Chapter XV

Norlyk

The palace spires shone brilliantly in the sunlight as they approached Norlyk. Warmth filled Nylana as she looked upon it, glad to be home.

The smells of the various vendors cooking meats and vegetables overpowered her nose. Nylana took it all in enjoying every minute of it. The clanging of cast iron pots overflowing with the special of the day caused her stomach to growl.

"Free soup," yelled one man in an attempt to draw customers in.

Galdin shook his head pushing everyone forward. "Here we are," he said as they came upon a small shop. He steered Nylana inside.

"May I help you?" asked the owner.

"Sheldon," said Galdin.

"Galdin! Trya!" Sheldon gave them both hugs greeting them warmly; clearly excited to see them. "How long has it been?"

"Too long," said Galdin. He placed a pouch of coins on the counter.

"Now, you know you didn't have to," said Sheldon taking the money.

"We owed you for the items we borrowed," said Galdin. "How is business?"

"Oh, can't complain. Things haven't been going well here. There are grumblings of conflict between the five lands."

"They always grumble," said Trya, "But it will subside in time."

"I do not think so," said Sheldon. "King Krispyn has not handled things at all well. And with the Lady Nylana dead, I fear that there will be no calming them."

"Dead?" Nylana stepped out of the shadows where she had been standing with Narúl and Ryk.

"Yes. She disappeared over half a year ago. The King of Pras'quel sent his condolences, but-" Sheldon noticed Nylana for the first time. "My lady, forgive me-I-I didn't mean-"

"Calm down," said Nylana. "You had no reason to know I was here."

"Why this is a cause for celebration. We must tell everyone."

"I do not wish my presence to be known yet," said Nylana. "It is best if I speak with my brother first."

"As you wish, my lady," said Sheldon. He started to kneel before her, but Nylana caught his arm and gently pulled him back to his feet.

"We must go," said Trya. "As always, Sheldon, it was a pleasure."

They left the tiny shop stepping out onto the busy street. Nylana kept her hood up to avoid being recognized. Though many merchants continued business as usual, things seemed different.

"Stop," said a guard as they approached the palace gate. "Only those with express invitations are allowed in."

"Invitation?" said Trya, "The palace is always open to visitors."

"Not anymore," said the guard, "And shouldn't you have left with your own kind."

"My own kind?" Trya's testiness showed in her voice.

Nylana listened, curious as to why the rules had been changed. "Let them through," she said, authoritatively.

"On whose orders?" challenged the guard.