Legends Lost: Galdin (Epilogue)

Note: This is the final chapter in my fantasy novel, Legends Lost: Galdin.

Epilogue

Gina tossed the bucket of scraps into the alley.  Cold mist prickled her skin.

"You can go now, girl, and be here all the earlier tomorrow," said the baker's wife.

"Yes, ma'am," replied Gina. 

She trotted down the alleyway hurrying to a small space underneath the innkeepers lodge that she called home.  Orphaned at eight years of age, Gina spent the last two years learning to survive on the streets.  She was pretty good at it, and the odd jobs provided some money for buying food.  However, her life wasn't without its risks.

She darted down another alley as the rain picked up and bumped into a man who kept his cloak pulled up.  His piercing gaze held kindness and Gina immediately knew who it was: the old hermit who lived outside of the town.  No one knew his real name and he kept to himself.

"I'm sorry," said Gina.

"No need to apologize," said the hermit.

"You should adopt her," hissed a voice that Gina swore came from the man's pack. 

The hermit shifted his bag getting a meow in response. 

Gina continued on her way.  Strange tales surrounded the hermit.  Some said that a rock followed him around.  Others spoke about a cat who frequented the taverns singing tales about the valiant Galdin for the price of a mug of ale. 

Lost in her thoughts, Gina never noticed the three youths following her.  A hand seized her from behind yanking her feet off the ground and pinning her against the side of a building.  "Let me go!," she screamed.

"Give us what coins you have," said one of the boys.

"I haven't got any," wailed Gina.

"No coins, eh?  You know what that means don't you lads?"

The hungry look in the three youth's eyes frightened Gina.  "Please let me go," she pleaded.

The hermit appeared from around the corner creeping towards the ruffians.  He walked up behind them without a sound.  Unnoticed, he reached for the hilt of his sword gripping it tightly, prepared to fight if necessary.

"Let her go," he commanded.

The three hooligans spun around.  They eyed him suspiciously.  "What do you want, hermit?" demanded one.

The hermit stared at them coldly.  The steel in his eyes made the three youths falter in their bravery.  "I said release her."

The conviction in his voice forced the three boys to obey.

"Let's go," said one. 

They released Gina who slumped in the mud coughing.  They ran from the alley relieved to getaway from this strange man who demonstrated neither bravado, nor fear.

"Thank you, mister," said Gina.

"Are you alright?" asked the hermit.

"Yes."

"What is your name, girl?"

"Gina."

"Where are your parents?"

The girl looked down at the mud in response.

The hermit understood immediately.  "I'm sorry," he said.  He turned to leave.

"Wait," called Gina, "Who are you?"

"Just an old hermit," replied the man.

"I know you have a name, aside from what everyone calls you.  What is it?"

The hermit turned to leave.

"Please let me come with you," pleaded Gina.

The hermit shook his head and started to leave.  A small tug at his heart forced him to glance back at the girl and her downtrodden face.

"Have a heart," whispered a voice from his bag.

The hermit walked back to the young girl.  "This bag is terribly heavy, and my place is such a long way—"

Gina snatched the bag from the hermit and heaved it onto her shoulders; a broad smile covering her face. 

The man grinned as he and the girl walked the lonely trail away from the village.  They soon came upon a small, one room cabin with smoke rising from the chimney.  The man opened the door and held it for Gina who hurried inside.  She gently placed the bag on the table and gasped as Tabs darted out of it.

"Thank you, my dear," said Tabs as he jumped onto Trog who lay sleeping by the fire.

"You talk!" said Gina.

"It's getting him to shut up that's the problem," said the man.

Gina studied the old man whom everyone called the Hermit.  She spotted the sword and her eyes opened wide.

"I know you!  I know who you are!  You're Galdin!

"I've heard all of the tales about you.  About how you saved the Queen Nylana.  About how you have helped many villages and farmers from terrible dangers as you wandered the five lands despite your banishment.

"The stories of you killing King Krispyn have to be lies.  I told the baker's wife so just yesterday."

"And what makes you so certain that I am he?"

Gina reached for the sword and held it up.  "This."

Galdin laughed a hearty laugh.  "And what makes you believe that the story about my crime is not true?"

Gina looked Galdin in the eyes.  "Your eyes are too kind." 

"Many of those stories are exaggerated," said Galdin.  "And that was thirty years ago."

"I may have embellished a few details," mumbled Tabs around his drink.

"This proves that you are Galdin," exclaimed Gina.

"Unfortunately, one tale is true," said Galdin, "I did kill Krispyn."

Gina eyed Galdin.  His demeanor, his rescuing of her, no heartless murderer would do such a thing.  "Why?" she asked with pure innocence and curiosity.

"Because he intended to kill someone I cared about," answered Galdin.

Gina absorbed what Galdin had said, but it did not bother her in the least.

"Do you not wish to contact the town magistrate?"

"No," replied Gina, shaking her head.  "I've heard tales about Krispyn as well; that he was not as great of a king as people believed."

"And I bet I know where those come from," said Galdin.

Tabs pushed his face further into his mug drinking loudly.

"Well, my dear," Galdin said to Gina, pushing a chair towards her, "As you seem to know my story, why don't you tell me yours."

The end.

Thank you for reading Galdin. I hope you enjoyed the book. Don't forget, yo can get the other two in the series (Tesnayr and Amborese) at Amazon, B&N, Kobo, iBooks, and Smashwords. You can follow me on Twitter (JMRUL), or like my Facebook page. For more information, see www.legendslosttrilogy.com. Your support is appreciated. Thanks for reading!