Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 1, Chapter XIII)

Note: This is the 13th chapter in my fantasy novel, Legends Lost: Galdin. There are 52 chapters total and I will post 1 chapter every Friday.  But if you wish to read the entire book now, it is available for purchase on Amazon, iBookstore, Kobo, B&N, and Smashwords.  

Chapter XIII

Home

Nylana moved down the plank with the mass of people leaving the ship glad to have finally reached her homeland.  She allowed herself to be pushed and shoved doing her best to ignore those that bumped her with their bundles.  She winced as a heavy boot stomped on her toes once again.  Desperately, Nylana tried to see over the crowd to make certain that she had not lost the others.  They were ahead of her.  At the risk of being rude, Nylana shoved her way down the plank to the port.

A sharp sting struck her right hand as she reached the bottom.  She glanced about her, but with the massive crowd surrounding her she never noticed the hooded figure that darted away.  Nylana inspected the back of her hand.  A small prick mark lay in the center.  Ignoring it, she ran to catch up with her companions. 

“There you are,” said Galdin as she approached.  “Quickly, we need to leave.”

“This isn’t Norlyk,” said Nylana looking around.

“That is because we are in the port near Drynelle,” replied Galdin.

“Drynelle?  Why are we in Drynelle?”

“Because that is where the ship was headed,” said Galdin, “Does it matter?  We are in Tesnayr.  We’ll be in Norlyk in a few days, but first we go west.”

“West?  Where are you headed?  Norlyk is south,” said Nylana.

“There is someone I need to see first.”

Reluctantly, Nylana ceased her protest.

 The hot sun beat down on Nylana as she walked on the dirt road weaving from side to side.  She felt very warm; the wound on her hand burned.  It had turned a bright shade of red, yet still she refused to tell the others.  I need to rest.  She lagged behind the others who talked merrily amongst themselves unaware of her predicament. 

Her feet flopped uncontrollably on the dirt with each step she took as waves of dizziness swept over her.  Her graceful movements had disappeared as she used what strength she had to keep going.  “Might we stop to rest?”

“The river is just ahead,” replied Galdin.  Nylana’s constant insistence that they should pause annoyed him.  Soon they would be across the river and to his mother’s home.  Only then would they stop. 

The sounds of water reached their ears informing them that they had reached the river.  Galdin scanned the bank. 

“This is a good place to cross,” he said, “It is shallow here.” 

Galdin waded into the strong current of the river followed closely by the others.  His home lay just on the other side.

Slowly, Nylana approached the stream.  She felt lightheaded as she attempted to focus on the river.  She stepped into the water.  Its cold temperature felt good against her skin, but she remained uneasy about crossing.  “Galdin, please, I don’t think I can cross.”

“We’re almost there.  Stop complaining.”  Trya’s touch on his arm seized Galdin’s attention.  Behind him, Nylana was nowhere to be found.  The current carried her unconscious body downstream. 

Instantly, Galdin dove into the water and swam with the current after her.  Once within reach, he snatched her cloak and pulled her to him as he made for the riverbank.  Galdin carried the unconscious Nylana ashore, her skin burning against his own.  Suddenly, he felt guilty for being short tempered with her.