Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 3, Chapter V)

Note: This is the 37th chapter in my fantasy novel, Legends Lost: Galdin. There are 52 chapters total and I will post 1 chapter every Friday.  But if you wish to read the entire book now, it is available for purchase on Amazon, iBookstore, Kobo, B&N, and Smashwords.  

Chapter V

Onward

 Artryl peeked over the ridge he hid behind as he watched the marching army of barbarians heading east toward Hemíl.  Though unable to count their numbers, he knew that they outnumbered any army in Tesnayr.

Strange creatures with red eyes followed after them.  He did not know what they were, but shied away from them.  The clanking links of their armor reverberated around him as they marched past unaware of his presence.

Artryl stretched up for a better look.  His hand slipped sending pebbles clacking downward.  A barbarian soldier turned toward him.  Instantly, Trog dove on top of Artryl covering the boy with his body as he hunkered down.

The man crept toward where Artryl and Trog were; his weapon raised before him.  He poked what appeared to be a rock with the tip of his spear.  Nothing happened.  Satisfied that his imagination played tricks on him, the man rejoined the barbarian ranks.

Trog opened his eyes.  He rolled off of Artryl who took several deep breaths.  Before the boy could speak, Trog wrapped him in his arms and ascended into the sky flying as fast as his wings allowed.

 *                  *                  *

 Ryk's eyes fluttered open as he regained consciousness.  He stared straight into Nylana's face as she leaned over him dabbing his forehead with a moist cloth.

"Welcome back," said Nylana.

"What happened?" asked Ryk as he felt the bandage around his head.

"You hit your head pretty hard and apparently no one warned you about wandering the Whispering Canyons," replied Nylana.  She pushed Ryk back down when he tried to sit up.  "You need to rest.  We're well-protected here."

"I once met a man who had survived those canyons," said Galdin.  "He spent his days staring out a window.  Never speaking.  Never moving.  You are lucky to not have lost your mind."

Ryk watched the faint firelight dance on the rock wall next to him.  The shadow of a dragon snatched his attention.  Frightened, he struggled to get up, but Nylana pushed him down again.

"It's alright," she said, "The dragon is a friend.  He saved us all."

Relaxing, Ryk took the bit of food that Nylana handed him.  "You came for me."

"Of course I did," said Nylana.  "Now eat that and rest.  We are not leaving until you are able."

"Sing a song of ale.  Drink up before it grows stale," sang Tabs.

"Mulled mead of every spice shall cure me of any vice," Uriel joined in.

"None believe me, thinking me too free," Tabs continued the merry tune.

"Laugh and gurgle all the day.  Ale's my friend I say," finished Uriel.

"Is that cat singing a drinking song with a dragon?" asked Ryk with a note of concern.

"If you mean the fur ball with a dung heap for brains, then, yes," replied Galdin.

"Hey," said Tabs.  He hopped down from the dragon's paw and walked over to the group.  "Singing is good for you."