Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 2, Chapter VII)

Note: This is the 26th chapter in my fantasy novel, Legends Lost: Galdin. You will see Book 2 and then  chapter the chapter number because I split the book into three parts, and we have reached part 2. There are 52 chapters total and I will post 1 chapter every Friday.  But if you wish to read the entire book now, it is available for purchase on Amazon, iBookstore, Kobo, B&N, and Smashwords.  

Chapter VII

South

 "My liege," Stahl entered the chamber where Vasagius stood staring out the window at the grounds below.

"What news?"

"We have failed to find them."

Vasagius faced his second in command.  He noted the red mark on the man's face where the cloaked figure had struck him.  "It appears you have found something else instead.  And what of our friend?"

"He is angry that we lost the prisoners," said Stahl, "We are to allow his pet to find them."

"That disgusting creature in the courtyard below?"

"Yes, my lord."

Vasagius paced the room.  "I tire of that sorcerer.  I tire of his orders.  Every day the deal changes."

"What would you have us do, my lord?" asked Stahl.

"I came back here to claim what was mine," said Vasagius, "This land is mine.  I think it is time I renegotiate our terms."  Vasagius strode from the room.  "Use that thing to find those two.  I want them back in their cell by morning."

Stahl saluted his commander's back.  Summoning his courage, he marched down to the courtyard, and to the niht'anda.

 *                  *                  *

 "How did you learn your way through these woods?" asked Nylana as Valn led them through the Changing Woods.

"It isn't that difficult," answered Valn.

"Says the Byleon who has spent his entire life in this forest," mocked Magi.

"You have a point, my dear, little feline," said Valn.  "I have lived here all my life.  Spend enough time in the Changing Woods and you learn her secrets."

"But this forest changes constantly," said Nylana.

"Yes, it does," said Valn, "But even here a few things remain constant.  Watch that rock there."

Nylana and Trya both turned to where Valn pointed.  They watched the rock intently; their eyes never leaving it.  A howling breeze wafted over them as mist settled around them.

"Keep your eyes fixed upon that rock," repeated Valn.

Peering through the mist, Nylana squinted to make certain she never lost sight of it.  Slowly, the mist dissipated leaving the landscape crisp and clear.

"Notice anything?" asked Valn.

"The rock is still there," exclaimed Nylana, "But everything else around it has changed."

"Exactly!  Everything changes in this forest, except for that rock.  But that rock is not the only constant in these woods.  There are other things that do not change.  Learn where those are and you will never be lost."

"How did you learn it?" asked Magi.

"As you have pointed out before, I have spent an entire lifetime in this place."

They continued their trek through the woods.  Nylana and Trya looked upon it with a new set of eyes always searching for the things that remained constant.  When Nylana thought she had found a landmark she would point it out to Valn.  He either congratulated her or told her to try again.  After several hours, Nylana started to get the hang of navigating the Changing Woods; no more would she fear that place.