Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 3, Chapter IV)

Note: This is the 36th chapter in my fantasy novel, Legends Lost: Galdin. There are 52 chapters total and I will post 1 chapter every Friday.  But if you wish to read the entire book now, it is available for purchase on Amazon, iBookstore, Kobo, B&N, and Smashwords.  

Chapter IV

Whispers of Madness

 Ryk's sweat soaked shirt clung to his back.  His feet slapped the sandy dirt as he aimlessly staggered around.  Heat bore down upon him causing his head to spin.  Desperate for water, his mouth produced what saliva it could to soothe his parched throat.  Blood trickled down the side of his head from a cut near his temple.

Ryk.

Ryk twisted around to face the nameless voice.  A burning sensation seized his side.  Wincing, Ryk touched the bruise that formed there after his fall from the ledge.  Finding himself alone, Ryk continued on.

Ryk.

The whisper in his ear caused him to spin around again.  Nothing.  Shaking his head, Ryk picked at his ears thinking that he was hearing things. 

"It's just my imagination," he said to himself. 

His feet moved sloppily as he found it increasingly difficult to walk.  He had gone without food and water before, but a day in this place felt like weeks.

Ryk.  Come to me.

"Nylana?"

I am here, Ryk.

"Where are you?"

Come to me.

Ryk followed the direction of the voice.  Bleary eyed, he continued on hoping to find the source.  His burning throat made him cough.  Hacking, Ryk forced himself to swallow the phlegm that came up.

I am here, Ryk.

A misty image of Nylana appeared before him.  Smiling at the prospect of being saved, Ryk reached for the mirage.  He ran for it. 

"Nylana!  Help me!"

Just as he reached it the image vanished. 

"No!  Why do you abandon me?"  Ryk sank to his knees burying his face in the sand.  Tears flowed as he cried in self-pity.

Danger.

Ryk jerked up.  Somewhat alert, he looked all around him, but found nothing.  Warily, he rose to his feet and swayed for a moment.

They are coming.

Ryk stayed where he was.

Run!

Unexplained panic rose within him as he took off across the canyon bottom.  Wildly, Ryk ran in some direction not caring where he went; he just wanted to get away.  A sense of danger filled his mind.  He could not explain it, but suddenly he needed to get away.

His foot struck something.  Losing his balance, Ryk smacked into the rough gravel rolling across the ground.  Coughing, he spat out sand as laughter surrounded him.

"Leave me!" screamed Ryk to the open space before him.

More faceless laughter taunted him.

Slowly, Ryk picked himself up.  He dusted his pants cursing the place that trapped him.  Feeling overheated, he tore off his cloak and ditched it in the sand.

You mustn't stay here.

The voice taunted him, fueling his rage.  It toyed with him the way a cat toys with a mouse.  Aggravated, Ryk headed in another direction hoping that the canyon wall before him was close.  He had no idea of how misleading distances could be in the desert.