Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 2, Chapter VI)

Note: This is the 25th chapter in my fantasy novel, Legends Lost: Galdin. You will see Book 2 and thn chapter 1 because I split the book into three parts, and we have reached part 2. There are 52 chapters total and I will post 1 chapter every Friday.  But if you wish to read the entire book now, it is available for purchase on Amazon, iBookstore, Kobo, B&N, and Smashwords.  

 Chapter VI

 .The Feather

 Nylana stared at the mass of trees before them.  She had never been to the Changing Woods before but remembered the tales.  A place where the landscape always changed.  A wolf howled in the distance.  Instinctively, Nylana turned around to make certain there were none behind her, but animals seemed to avoid this area.  She glanced back at the forest only to find that it had changed.  Trees huddled together in clumps with vines wrapped around their massive trunks.  Boulders formed a jumbled mess.

"Where did the path go?" asked Nylana.

"Welcome to the Changing Woods," Trya replied.

"I don't like this place," snapped Magi.

"You don't have to come," said Nylana as she walked toward the only opening.  She climbed on a boulder that stood four feet high scratching her hand on the sharp edges as she hoisted herself up.  Trya glided over the rocks with ease.  Nylana watched enviously as the elf jumped atop one and gently landed on the other side with grace.  She flopped on the ground landing roughly on her rump.

"If you were a cat," gloated Magi as she floated to the top of a boulder and leapt to the other side, "You would have more grace."

Glaring at the cat, Nylana picked herself up and dusted off her rear.  "Wiseacre."

"SHHH," said Trya, "Listen."

Nylana strained her ears to hear what the elf did, but nothing came to her.  "I don't hear anything."

"Exactly," said Trya, "It's quiet."

A string of cursing escaped Magi as the cat voiced language that Nylana didn't know the animal knew.  "Stupid root appeared from nowhere."

"Let's go," said Nylana as she led the way.

"Do you even know where you are going?" asked Magi as she plucked a sticky substance from her fur.

"Lead the way," said Nylana.

"What?"

"Go on.  Take us through here."

Scowling, Magi marched ahead of Nylana and Trya.  "Fine."  She stalked off stiff legged through the thick foliage with the others close behind, smirking. 

"Let the cat go first," Magi muttered to herself, "Let the cat be the one to get into trouble."

Wind rushed over the forest knocking Trya and Nylana over.  It howled with intense ferocity that leaves and twigs swirled around them, stinging them.  Just as suddenly, instant calm settled among them as though nothing had happened. 

The scenery had changed once again.  Sticks for trees stuck out of the ground as rays of sunlight reached them.  The once thick canopy of leaves had evaporated.

"Wow," whispered Magi as she looked up at the sky.  "The sky, it's so blue."

"Actually it's purple," said Nylana.

Trya glanced up and smiled.  To her the sky looked orange.  Such was the nature of the Changing Woods.

Nylana looked at the sky once more.  It had turned a vivid shade of emerald.  "Does nothing stay the same in this place?  It always changes."