Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 1, Chapter XII)

Note: This is the 12th chapter in my fantasy novel, Legends Lost: Galdin. There are 52 chapters total and I will post 1 chapter every Friday. But if you wish to read the entire book now, it is available for purchase on Amazon, iBookstore, Kobo, B&N, and Smashwords.

Chapter XII

Passage to Tesnayr

"How much?" asked Galdin.

"100 gold coins for passage," replied Trya.

"We haven't enough," said Galdin. "If only we had managed to get more for the horse." An exasperated sigh escaped him. He eyed the people around them.

Ryk smiled deviously as a plan formed in his mind. He snatched a cloak from one of the nearby vendors and wrapped it around Nylana, ripping sections of it into jagged pieces. "Come with me," he said dragging her with him. "You two stay there," he told the others.

Ryk steered Nylana down the street to a merchant who was buying fruit. "Follow my lead," he whispered to Nylana, "Do not speak unless spoken to. Keep your head down and your face hidden."

The richly dressed merchant paid no attention to them as they walked past. Ryk stealthily snuck up to the merchant's stock of supplies. He snatched a crate of apples. Nylana opened her mouth to protest, but Ryk had shoved the apples in her hands and pushed her in front of the merchant.

"Why hello, my good sir," greeted Ryk silkily. "Might you be a merchant of the north?"

"I am," came the merchant's deep voice.

"Might I interest you in some of our apples? My wife and I have a small plot of land far from here, but the soil is rich. Here, judge for yourself," said Ryk.

Nylana placed the crate of apples in front of the merchant, biting her tongue to keep quiet.

"They have a good color," mused the merchant. He picked up a few apples inspecting their freshness. "Very similar to a bunch I purchased earlier this morning."

Sweat poured down Nylana's face. She was certain that their ruse would be discovered. Ryk continued unfazed. Clearly, he's done this before, she thought.

"They are crisp and sweet. Try one if you must," said Ryk.

"No. No, that will not be necessary," said the merchant. "I can see that they are good apples. How much do you want for them?"

"200 gold coins," said Ryk.

Nylana nearly dropped the crate.

"200! That is a steep price."

"It may seem so," said Ryk, "But we have traveled far and this has been the first good year in a long while."

The merchant stroked his curly beard. He eyed Nylana and the tattered cloak she wore. Her bony features poked through. "100 gold coins."

"175."

"125."

"150," countered Ryk.

The merchant fingered his purse. He had never paid so much for anything. But the apples were good and would sell well in his country. "150 it is," he said. He waved a servant over to take the crate from Nylana.

Ryk shook the merchant's hand and collected the money.

"A little extra for your wife. Buy her a new cloak," said the merchant giving Ryk a few extra coins.

"Thank you, my good sir," said Ryk, "Your kindness is most appreciated. Come, my darling."

Ryk wrapped his arm around Nylana's waist and led her back to where Galdin and Trya stood watching from a distance. Galdin bore a grave expression while Trya suppressed a smile.