Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 3, Chapter XI)

Note: This is the 43th chapter in my fantasy novel, Legends Lost: Galdin. There are 52 chapters total and I will post 1 chapter every Friday.  But if you wish to read the entire book now, it is available for purchase on Amazon, iBookstore, Kobo, B&N, and Smashwords.  

Chapter XI

Great Loss

 "There," said Nylana to Mishkunn when she spotted Lord Ardryn and Narúl on the ground.  The gold dragon banked to the right lowering himself gently.  He landed beside the two on the ground with a grace neither had ever seen.

"Thank you, Mishkunn," said Nylana as she climbed off of the dragon's back.

"Where will you go, little one?" asked Mishkunn.

"The army is headed north," replied Nylana.  "Away from Drynelle and Norlyk."

"Take them deep within the Black Mountains. Dragons always fight when threatened."  Mishkunn rose into the air.  "I will meet you there."  He disappeared.

"My lady," said Lord Ardryn as he embraced Nylana.  "I am pleased that you have all returned safely.  Galdin and Krispyn both lead our forces.  They are half a day's ride from here."

"We should head there immediately," said Nylana.

Lord Ardryn saluted her and walked off with the others. 

Narúl pulled Nylana aside, away from the others.  "Is everything alright?"

"I'm fine," answered Nylana.

Narúl eyed her questioningly.

"Am I that readable?"

"Only to those who know you best.  And I noticed this."  He pointed at the necklace she wore.  "Do you love him?"

Nylana nodded.

"Then I approve."

"You—what?"

"As aggravating as he is, I am certain he will treat you well," said Narúl.

Nylana smiled.  "Thank you, Narúl."

Shouts and the clanging of swords summoned their attention.  Hurriedly, Nylana charged over to where they came from.  Barbarians burst through the brush straight for her.  She whipped out her sword cutting one down while blocking an attack by another.  Swiftly, she rammed her shoulder into the man's throat before killing him.

Nylana noticed a barbarian heading for Ryk.  Spotting an abandoned bow on the ground, she dove for it raising it up.  With expert aim, she fired striking the man in between the shoulder blades.

"Ryk," shouted Nylana as she ran for him.

Ryk threw his opponent off of him killing the man.  He turned toward Nylana as she approached.

"Are you--"

"I'm fine," he interrupted her.

Relieved, Nylana gave him a quick peck.  "Get them out of here."  She whirled around until she found Petra.  "Head for the army, then, lead them to the Black Mountains."

Nylana searched about her for Narúl but found no sign of him.  She took off to where she had last seen him.

"Nylana, wait!"

Nylana didn't listen.  She charged through the bushes until she spotted Narúl who was surrounded by Vasagius' men.  She watched as he struggled to fend them off.  A dark shape streaked through the trees heading straight for Narúl: Artryl.

Narúl spun on his heels with a hatchet in one hand and a sword in the other.  He blocked with his blade before bringing the hatchet up and bashing the man in the face.  He turned around bringing his hatchet low, striking another in the belly.

A blunt force knocked his hatchet from his hand.  Recovering quickly, Narúl grasped his sword with both hands and blocked another attack.  With a strength few possessed, he used one hand to maintain the locked position, while using his other to wrench his opponent's hand from his blade.  Suddenly, Narúl head-butted the man before killing him.

Something struck him in the face.  Stunned, his weapon fell rom his grasp as a savage moved in for the kill.  Unexpectedly, the man stopped with a confused expression on his face as a sword poked through him from behind.  When he fell to the ground, Artryl stood there.

"Narúl," said Artryl as he shook the man.

Slowly, Narúl regained his senses.  He spotted Artryl and seized him by the shoulders.  "I thought I left you with Galdin."

"I had to come," said Artryl.  "Where you go I go."

Softening his manner slightly, Narúl hugged the boy.  "Stay behind me."

"Narúl!" yelled Artryl, pointing behind him.

Narúl whipped around and knocked the bow out of a charging man's hands, but not before he fired.  He stabbed the man in the neck.

"Narúl."

Narúl turned around.  Artryl stood there with an arrow in his chest; blood poured from the wound.  Instantly, Narúl ran to the boy and caught him before he collapsed.  "Stay with me."

"Narúl, I'm sorry."

Nylana ran up from behind and stopped when she noticed Artryl in Narúl's arms.  Slowly, she walked up to him.

"No," said Narúl, "You've nothing to be sorry for."

"But I disobeyed your orders," coughed Artryl.

"I'm glad you did.  You have saved all our lives."

"I'm so tired."

"Sleep," said Narúl reining in his emotions, "Just close your eyes.  When you wake, you will be in the most beautiful of places and will know only peace."

"I love you," whispered Artryl.

"And I you, my son."

Artryl's eyes closed as his head rolled to the side.  Narúl clutched the limp body tightly. 

Gently, Nylana placed her hand on Narúl's shoulder. 

"Leave me," said Narúl.

Understanding his pain as she choked back tears, Nylana backed away to give her mentor and friend some space.

Narúl laid Artryl gently on the ground placing the boy's hands on his chest and a sword within them.  "Rest well, my son."

Screams pierced the solemn moment as men grabbed Nylana from behind.  She elbowed one, but he wrenched her weapon from her and knocked her unconscious. 

Narúl jumped to his feet.  He rushed for Nylana when something slammed into him knocking him to the ground.  Narúl lay unconscious as the barbarians dragged Nylana away.

  Tune back Next Friday for the next chapter.

You can buy this book and the rest of the Legends Lost series at Amazon, B&N, Kobo, iBooks, and Smashwords. You can follow me on Twitter (JMRUL), or like my Facebook page. For more information, see www.legendslosttrilogy.com. Your support is appreciated. Thanks for reading!