Legends Lost: Galdin (Book, Chapter XIX)

Note: This is the 51th chapter in my fantasy novel, Legends Lost: Galdin. There are 52 chapters total and I will post 1 chapter every Friday.  But if you wish to read the entire book now, it is available for purchase on Amazon, iBookstore, Kobo, B&N, and Smashwords.

Chapter XIX

Krispyn's Funeral

The heels of Nylana's shoes echoed with each somber step she took circling the throne that stood alone in the chamber.  Her eyes focused on the mosaic that covered the floor: an eight point star with the crests of the five lands circling around it and the crest of Tesnayr resting in the center.

For years Nylana had admired the mosaic never quite understanding it.  Now, its meaning became all too clear.

"My lady," said a messenger.  "It is time."

Nylana managed a weak smile to let the messenger know that she had heard.

 Silence ensued as the funeral procession made its way to the burial ground.  Despite the sun's warmth, Nylana's heart remained cold and broken.  Even the birds refused to sing sensing the passing of a beloved son of Tesnayr. 

Nylana eyed the gathered crowd.  If only they knew the truth, she thought.  But how could she tell them that the man they worshiped as a hero had actually betrayed them?  Another secret she must carry deep within her heart.

As she watched Krispyn's body being placed within the mound of earth, the song her mother used to sing to her filled her mind.  Nylana had sung the same melody to Krispyn when he was a small child, back when they were still friends. 

She remembered asking her mother about the first verse.  Her mother had replied by simply stating that the first verse of the song conveyed the sorrow of parting and a breaking heart.  If it were to ever be translated to the common tongue, the sadness within it would consume whomever heard it.

As she thought back, Nylana suddenly thought it strange that such a thing would be considered a child's lullaby.  The more she considered it, the more she realized it was a parent's way of preparing their children for the pain that life sometimes brings.  She also understood the pain that the first verse was said to convey.

As people silently said their farewells to Krispyn, Nylana began to sing the lullaby that she had sung for him long ago.  She sang it for Krispyn, the brother she had helped raise.  She sang it for Galdin, the brother she had lost and found, and was about to lose again.

Ni'lee y'lee ni se le'han

Bok a san la'na

Ni'lee y'lee ni se le'han

Se ma'hak ana

Farewell my friend. We'll meet again

Far down River's way.

Farewell my friend. We'll meet again

Long before end of day.

Save your sighs, the dawn is nigh.

Time to move on.

So, say good-bye. Don't ask why.

Go, before morning's gone.

Now, kiss me sweet.  Take my love.

Close to your heart

Forever keep. In heaven above

There we'll never part.

Farewell my friend. We'll meet again.

Sure, as Mountains rise.

Farewell, my friend. We'll meet again.

Soon, in sun strewn skies.

Hush, don't you cry. Dream of stars,

Light and feathery.

The blue jay cries from afar;

Such sweet melody.

Let gentle wind hum softly

And melt your cares away.

There will I be by your side,

Here, where you lay.

Farewell my friend. We'll meet again.

Soon, in Meadows new.

Farewell my friend. We'll meet again.

Down in rosy hue.

Now go to sleep. Please don't weep.

Time for eternal rest.

The time has come with setting sun.

There forever blest.

Your spirit free, don't cry for me,

Here on earthly tomb.

I sing for thee with happy glee.

My time will come soon.

Farewell my friend. We'll meet again.

Down in Valley's fold.

Farewell my friend, we'll meet again.

Far from winter's cold.

Ni'lee y'lee ni se le'han

Bok a san la'na

Ni'lee y'lee ni se le'han

Se ma'hak ana

 Once the song was finished, Nylana wept silent tears for herself.  She wished someone could remove the knife buried within her heart.  The phoenix cried overhead.  Gradually, Nylana glanced at it.  It flew over everyone giving its own lament as though it understood her torment.

  Tune back Next Friday for the next chapter.

You can buy this book and the rest of the Legends Lost series at Amazon, B&N, Kobo, iBooks, and Smashwords. You can follow me on Twitter (JMRUL), or like my Facebook page. For more information, see www.legendslosttrilogy.com. Your support is appreciated. Thanks for reading!