Legends Lost: Galdin (Book, Chapter VII)

Note: This is the 39th chapter in my fantasy novel, Legends Lost: Galdin. There are 52 chapters total and I will post 1 chapter every Friday.  But if you wish to read the entire book now, it is available for purchase on Amazon, iBookstore, Kobo, B&N, and Smashwords.  

Chapter VII

Lost Hope

Nylana ran her fingers over the engraved markings on the stone wall; markings etched in time.  Legend said that Tesnayr himself had put it there and that time had not the courage to wash it away.  She wondered what had been going through his mind as he forever marked his name in the stone.  What trials led him here?

"Nylana," Galdin approached, "Lord Stefon will see us now."

Regally, Nylana rose to her feet taking a momentarily glance at the twinkling stars in the blackened sky.  "How will I tell him that Belyndril is lost and that MurDair has abandoned us?"

"We will tell him together."  Galdin held his arm out for her.  Nylana took it and together they walked to the great hall of the keep where the others waited.

The massive doors opened before them as they stepped into the firelight.  Lord Stefon stood at the far end silhouetted by the torches.  "Lady Nylana, what is all this?  I was under the impression that you were coming alone."

"It is not safe for me to travel alone," answered Nylana.  "And you will speak to both me and my brother, Galdin."

"I have already heard the news about La'nar and Lord Trisk," said Lord Stefon.  "It is unfortunate."

"Vasagius leads the barbarian forces.  They are on their way here as we speak," said Nylana.

"If they haven't already arrived," commented Lord Stefon.

"Krispyn, your king, asks for your help," said Nylana, "I have been sent—"

"My help?"  Lord Stefon stared into Nylana's eyes.  "Where was he when Hemίl needed him?  For the past year he has treated us lords like vermin demanding more of our resources.  We are sovereign lands who only acquiesce to the King of Tesnayr when we choose.  We are not slaves to his will."

"Lord Stefon, there is more at stake than just the sovereignty of Hemίl," said Nylana.

"Unless Krispyn relinquishes some of his claim of lordship over us, I'll not help you."

"Then you will die," said Galdin, his voice carried through the chamber.

"Are you threatening me?" demanded Lord Stefon.

"Merely stating a fact," replied Galdin.  "Vasagius will come here.  Of that you can be certain.  He cares nothing for your grievances against Krispyn.  He will burn this place to the ground and the people within it.  For your own sake, and for the sake of your people, you'd do well to heed Nylana's request."

"And how do I know I can trust you—you who worked as a mercenary most your life.  Yes, I know of your past."

"Then trust her."  Galdin pointed at Nylana.

 Men disguised in the armor of Hemíl, but with barbarian crests beneath, tiptoed through the alleys of the keep remaining in the shadows.  In groups of three they veered off toward the armory.  Other groups darted for the gates and the outer defenses with its positioned ballistas.  Each group drenched their targets with containers of grease.  One by one, strategic areas within the keep burst into flames.

Satisfied, the raiders ripped off their outer armor to reveal their true identities.  They slashed at the screaming masses of people around them who vainly tried to escape.