Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 2, Chapter IV)

Note: This is the 23th chapter in my fantasy novel, Legends Lost: Galdin. You will see Book 2 and thn chapter 1 because I split the book into three parts, and we have reached part 2. There are 52 chapters total and I will post 1 chapter every Friday.  But if you wish to read the entire book now, it is available for purchase on Amazon, iBookstore, Kobo, B&N, and Smashwords.  

 Chapter IV

 A Dragon’s Request

 Petra perused through the library searching for anything that might tell him more about the mysterious item he had sent Nylana to find.  Inwardly, he worried that he had sent her on a fool’s quest.  He had found various pieces of previous kings’ journals, but wished Tabs was there.  He wondered where that cat had gone.

Footsteps echoing in the lonely corridor attracted his attention.  Carefully, Petra crept over to the door opening it slightly.  Shelwyk hurried past glancing over his shoulder every so often.  Curious, Petra slipped through the door.  Sticking to the sides of the wall and its shadows, the wizard trailed Shelwyk.  He ducked behind a suit of armor when Shelwyk turned around suddenly.  The man’s eyes flickered back and forth as he studied the hallway behind him.  Once Shelwyk looked away, Petra crept out of the shadows and continued his pursuit.

The wizard did not like Shelwyk’s secretive manner.  In truth, he never liked the man.  He followed Shelwyk through the corridor taking extra care to make no sounds.  Where is he going?  He could think of no reason for the man to be in this part of the palace. 

The hallway forked.  Shelwyk paused.  Instantly, Petra dashed behind a marbled statue.  A tapping noise forced him to look around taking his focus from the man he followed.  When Petra turned back, Shelwyk had gone.

“Hiding among relics?”  Quesha materialized from the shadows staring straight at Petra.  “You should be careful, lest you become a relic yourself.”

“It’s you,” hissed Petra.

“Yes, it is me,” purred Quesha.

“Why don’t you haunt someone else?”

“Such animosity.”

“You made me lose Shelwyk.  Now I’ll never know where he’s gone.”

“Pity,” mocked Quesha.

Petra whirled on her.  “You know where he’s gone.”

“I know many things,” replied Quesha.  “It is my curse from long ago.”

“Do not play games with me,” snarled Petra.

“You are very much like your old teacher, Zolo,” Quesha danced around the wizard.  “No one ever trusts a sorceress.”

“And for good reason.”

“Have I given you reason to doubt me?”

“Your habits make trusting you difficult.”

“Perhaps,” replied Quesha.  “I will not tell you what you wish to know.”

“Such information could save many innocents,” said Petra.

“Or harm many more.”

Petra opened his mouth to speak, but Quesha cut him off.

“You would never believe me if I just told you.  This is one thing you must discover on your own.”

Angered, Petra stormed back to the library.

“Why do you spend your time among books when you are needed in the world?” Quesha chased after him.