Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 1, Chapter XIX)

Note: This is the 19th chapter in my fantasy novel, Legends Lost: Galdin. There are 52 chapters total and I will post 1 chapter every Friday. But if you wish to read the entire book now, it is available for purchase on Amazon, iBookstore, Kobo, B&N, and Smashwords.

Chapter XIX

The Fall of La'nar

Uriel landed safely outside the city of La'nar. His passengers gladly set foot back upon solid ground. Each of them eyed the dragon warily unsure of what to do.

"Now I shall claim my payment," said Uriel.

"Not yet," Nylana stopped him, "First, we must speak with Lord Trisk. Only then, may you claim your prize."

Uriel brought his face close to Nylana's studying her. Smoke escaped his nostrils as he snorted. "You are a feisty one. Very well. Since we had an agreement, I will be back for you all when your task is finished."

"We thank you," said Nylana.

"And do not attempt to flee," warned Uriel, "I will find you."

"Another kindness," said Nylana.

"Try not to get yourselves killed before I return." Uriel spread his wings and took off.

Everyone released a huge sigh of relief after the dragon's departure.

"What do you propose we do after you have spoken with Lord Trisk?" asked Ryk. "How far do you think we'll get with that dragon on our tail?"

"Honestly?" replied Nylana, "I didn't think we'd get this far."

Nylana strode off taking the lead to La'nar, which lay just below them. The others followed after her amazed at their luck, but worried about their future.

When they reached the gates, Nylana announced herself. Immediately, guards appeared to escort her and her companions to the castle. She looked around at the city and its sculptures. Trimmed vines stretched up the ivory walls forming illustrations. The peacefulness of the place awed her as she considered the dangers that had brought her here.

"Lord Trisk is expecting you," said a messenger when they entered the castle.

Nylana entered the courtroom chamber of the palace of La'nar with her entourage of Galdin, Ryk, Trya, and Narúl. The two cats and Trog seemed to have disappeared.

"Lady Nylana," greeted Lord Trisk, "As always it is a pleasure to have you here."

"Lord Trisk," replied Nylana, taking his hand. "I am certain you know why I have come."

"Yes, but first, you must be tired from your journey. Let me get you refreshments and perhaps a chance to rest?"

"We haven't time. I came the moment I heard of the invasion of Belyndril."

Lord Trisk's face fell. "Should not your brother have come?"

"He is busy at the moment, but I am here and so is Galdin, my brother."

Lord Trisk did a double take. "Your-I do not understand."

"The Lost Prince," said Nylana.

Understanding dawned on Lord Trisk as he realized who Galdin was. "My Lord Galdin," Lord Trisk took his hand, "It is an honor to meet you. After all this time, you have returned."

Unsure of what to say, Galdin clasped Lord Trisk's hand and smiled.

"Who are these invaders?" asked Nylana.

Lord Trisk directed her to a map. "We do not know for certain. They have a base of operations here." He pointed at the map. "All my scouts are able to gather is that they came from the north; from across the sea. They have not plundered anything. They simply burn as they go."