Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 1, Chapter XVII)

Note: This is the 17th chapter in my fantasy novel, Legends Lost: Galdin. There are 52 chapters total and I will post 1 chapter every Friday. But if you wish to read the entire book now, it is available for purchase on Amazon, iBookstore, Kobo, B&N, and Smashwords.

Chapter XVII

Leaving Norlyk

Galdin stood in the window staring out at the gloomy dusk settling over Norlyk. He remembered the city. He recalled coming here with his mother one day as a child to assist her in selling her quilts.

How the city has changed, he thought to himself. It seemed less robust. The five lands had changed. He noticed it upon his return from Pras'quel. Never before had he cared. Why do I care now?

One answer: Nylana.

Her insistence that he claim his birthright forced him to stay in the city. Her insistence that he remain forced him to see the five lands in a new light. Nylana's love for her people gnawed at him.

A drizzling rain beat against the window lulling him with a soft tapping on the glass. Movement below caught his attention. Galdin peered more closely and noticed Trya strolling to the stables. What was she up to? He did not remember the elf telling him about her intentions to accompany Nylana.

He felt the urge to rush to the courtyard to learn what his friend was up to. Galdin reached for his cloak to find it missing.

"Going somewhere?" said a silky voice.

Galdin whipped around.

Quesha stood erect in the room facing him; his cloak in her hands. "I thought you had decided to leave Norlyk. Then you decided to remain and not accompany your sister to Belyndril. Now it appears that you have changed your mind once again."

"What business is it of yours?" spat Galdin, annoyed.

"None really," replied Quesha, "But then again, it is my business."

"I don't see how."

"The lands of Tesnayr are my business. You are the crown prince; the first born son. So that makes you my business."

"What do you want?"

"The real question, Galdin, is: What do you want? You have spent your life as a mercenary. Always selling your services to the highest bidder. It worked for a time. Until now.

"But life has a way of dealing out indecision. One day you are working for a wealthy lord of Pras'quel and the next you free a slave girl owned by the same lord. A girl who turns out to be your sister. Oh, and what a twist that she is the Princess of Tesnayr. Why did you rescue her that day?"

Galdin thought for a moment. He hadn't truly thought about it since. "I don't know really. I just felt I had to."

"Had to?"

"Look, if that stupid phoenix hadn't shown up I never would have noticed her."

"The phoenix," whispered Quesha as she meandered through the room, "How very interesting. Such coincidence."

"What is your interest in all this?" demanded Galdin.

"I am asked that question every time I appear. Amborese asked me that once. Do you know what I told her?"

"What?"

"The same thing I tell everyone: I have my reasons."

"You and your games. Tell me why you have come or get out."

"You are much like Tesnayr," said Quesha, "He never liked my mistress when she appeared to him. Very well. I am here to prevent you from making a grave mistake."