Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 2, Chapter II)

Note: This is the 21th chapter in my fantasy novel, Legends Lost: Galdin. You will see Book 2 and thn chapter 1 because I split the book into three parts, and we have reached part 2. There are 52 chapters total and I will post 1 chapter every Friday. But if you wish to read the entire book now, it is available for purchase on Amazon, iBookstore, Kobo, B&N, and Smashwords.

Chapter II

To MurDair

Narúl waited for them just like he had said he would. Galdin approached the muscular, black man unsure of how to tell him that Nylana did not come with him.

"Galdin," greeted Narúl. "Where is Nylana?"

"She's not here," said Galdin as he moved past Narúl.

"Not here? Where is she?"

Galdin kept walking.

"Tell me!" Narúl grabbed Galdin and whirled him around. "Where is she?"

Galdin ran his fingers through his hair. "I do not know." He held his hand up before Narúl could protest. "I told her not to go, but she was so insistent. She said she had to go searching for this mystical item."

"And you let her go? Alone?" Narúl grabbed Galdin and slammed him against a tree anger etched on his face. "You let her go while this land is crawling with invaders?"

"It's not as though I had a choice," said Galdin. "Would you have been able to convince her to stay?"

Narúl released Galdin. "No. She's so stubborn."

"Besides," said Galdin, "She isn't alone. Trya went with her."

"And Magi," said Tabs, poking his head out of Galdin's pack.

"What?" asked Galdin.

"Well, she must have," answered Tabs, "I haven't seen her for a few days now. Now you want to talk about stubborn. She's a case in point."

"Let's go," said Galdin, with Trog on his heels. "In one month's time we will meet her in MurDair. In the meantime, I'd like to find a safe place to camp for the night."

"I know of a place," said Tabs, jumping with excitement. "There was a time when I knew this area quite well. There should be an abandoned cottage not far from here."

"Are you sure?" asked Galdin.

"Yes," answered Tabs," Cross this creek and turn left. Then it is just a few miles until the cottage. Follow me."

Not knowing what else to do, Galdin followed the orange tabby through some brush and across the narrow creek. Tabs hummed merrily to himself; a tune none of them recognized.

"How much further?" asked Galdin as they walked.

"Not far," replied Tabs, "It should be-Oh parsnips."

Galdin stopped cold. Trog had disappeared. He and the others looked about them as they realized that they had wandered into a group of armed barbarians who looked upon them as fresh meat.

"Tabs," whispered Galdin, "I thought you said you knew where you were going?"

"I did," said Tabs, "It might have been my other left."

"Cursed feline, you led us into a trap!" roared Galdin.

"I didn't mean too!"

"If I didn't know better I'd say you did it on purpose," yelled Galdin.

"Well maybe I did," snapped Tabs. "You never do show me any respect. You even scared Trog away."

"Because you haven't earned it!"

Amidst all this the barbarians stared at the arguing pair unsure of what to do. They had never seen a talking cat before, nor had they expected to have intruders. One grabbed his weapon.

"Well what are you going to do about it?" Tabs challenged Galdin.

"This." Galdin chucked his knife at the nearest barbarian striking him in the throat.

Tabs launched himself at another crouched low to the ground. His hind claws tore into the man's flesh. The man threw the cat off of him. Spitting at his quarry, Tabs jumped at the man again sinking his fangs into the man's throat. Tabs kept his jaw clamped shut until the man ceased moving.

Narúl pulled out his curved blade. He lopped off the head of a charging barbarian while quickly spinning on the balls of his feet to block an attack by another. Sparks flew from their blades as they locked. Quickly, Narúl punched the man in the throat, unlocked their weapons, and plunged his blade into soft flesh.

He tossed the dead barbarian's sword to Ryk who caught it in time to stop another who charged him. Using the movements Narúl had taught him earlier, Ryk brought his sword up blocking an attack while simultaneously ramming his boot into his attacker's knee, breaking it.

The fight continued for a few moments longer. Galdin, Narúl, and Ryk suddenly found themselves unable to move as they stared into red, lidless eyes. Their body refused to obey their commands. Paralyzed, they stood victim to the barbarians.

Two black shapes hurled themselves into the red eyed monster. The moment the beast fell, the others regained control of their limbs. As the fog in their mind cleared, they rushed the creature to kill it, but Trog and the newly arrived stranger had already beaten them to it.

"This way, quick," said the figure.

"Artryl? What are you doing here?" demanded Narúl.

"No time," answered the boy.

More barbarians sprang from nowhere and seized Galdin. He struggled to shake them off as hands ripped his weapon from him. Narúl turned to help.

"No!" shouted Galdin. "Just go!"

Narúl shoved Ryk through the foliage and to safety. They followed Artryl as he led them to a rocky outcrop where they hid until the barbarians below left. Guiltily, Narúl watched as they led Galdin away.

"Tabs," said Narúl, "Follow them."

The cat scurried away.

"And you," Narúl turned to Artryl, "Better start explaining your presence here."

Tune back Next Friday for the next chapter.

You can buy this book and the rest of the Legends Lost series at Amazon, B&N, Kobo, iBooks, and Smashwords. You can follow me on Twitter (JMRUL), or like my Facebook page. For more information, see www.legendslosttrilogy.com. Your support is appreciated. Thanks for reading!