Chapter 38

The following day, we went home. We are all gathered in living room. And what I mean is, even the Hamlet family is here. But Ruby isn't around. I wonder where is she.

"She's still sleeping, Cauli. You know, she needs to rest after how many hours of flight." Mom explained.

"It's okay, tita. I'll just call her." Cauli replied.

"You better do it now, Cauli." Mrs. Hamlet said. "I cannot wait to see her." She smiled, feeling excited.

I looked down, feeling hopeless. What if Mrs. Hamlet will know that his son is in love with me? Will she accept me as her future daughter-in-law?

Cauli heaved a deep sigh. I know he's trying to calm down. And I know this is bothering him so much. I can't blame him though. Even me. And if I have the strength to be against my own family and Cauli's, I won't think twice to move away from them. I just couldn't. I love them so much. I respect if they want Ruby and Cauli to get married.

Cauli called Ruby. And five minutes had passed since he cut off the other line, we heard footsteps from above. And in just a second, a familiar face of a girl came into view. She's wearing her pyjama set. Her hair is messy.

Walking down the staircase, she wandered her eyes around. When our eyes met, she froze for awhile, scanning my whole body. Then she shot her left brow at me.

I gulped once when Cauli moved closer to me. He held my waist, making me atremble.

"Ruby! We've been waiting for you!" Mrs. Hamlet broke the silence. She walked towards the red girl and gave her a warm hug.

"Tita! How are you?" She asked,  simply looking at me then to Cauli.

"So? How's your trip?" Mrs. Hamlet asked while smiling.

"Fun and memorable. I just hope we could go back there. What made you call again, tita?"

"Oh! I was a little bit excited to tell you that... you're going to work with my son!" She announced gleefully.

"W-what?!" He jaw dropped in disbelief. "Is that true, tita?"

"Yes, darling. I can't wait to see the two of you working together. Perhaps it's a good sign for wedding bells?" Mrs. Hamlet grinned at mother. I turned to mother whose eyes are blue.

I gulped once then turned to Ruby who is now plastering a mischievous smile at me. I looked away, trying to control my emotions. I know I shouldn't feel any abhorrence at her, but, I can't help it. I hate those smirks on her face.

"Cauli!" She called out, opening her arms widely. "I miss you so much, Cauli. Did you miss me too?" She pouted.

Cauli didn't answer. He glanced at me. I gave him a smile, assuring him that I'm fine around when in fact, I'm boiling mad right now.

"Hi, Gorgina..." she stated playfully. "What brought you here? Want some money-"

"Ruby." Cauli interrupted.

"Yes, my future husband?"

I looked down, feeling dejected. Cauli's right. I would be hurt with Ruby's simple gestures. Hearing her calling Cauli "future husband" made me become more malicious. Feels like I wanna tear off her smirks or even her face.

Should I stay calm? Or speak out my mind? She has no rights to call Cauli as her 'future husband'. He's mine! And what is mine is mine!

Wearing her flirty smile, she wrapped Cauli's neck with her hands.

Cauli immediately removed her hands.

She better back off. Yeah that's right, love. You're mine alone. No one touches my property.

"Mom. Let's talk about it now." Cauli stated in his deep voice.  Cauli's mother smiled and sat on sofa.

"Keep calm, my love. I could sense your heart wrapped by malice and abhorrence. Everything will be okay. Trust me." He whispered. I was caught off guard a bit. Did he notice it? How come?

I faked a smile.

I know Cauli could be trusted. But Ruby? Damn her. No! SHE BETTER BACK OFF.

The way she looked at Cauli sent malicious shivers down to my whole system. I want to murder her right now. But, is this really you, Gorgina? What happened to the old Gorgina who's humble and never think murderous things towards someone?

Well, she's dead. The old Gorgina is dead. I want to ring my hand around Ruby's neck until she breathes no more.

Cauli faced his back to me and walked away.

I heaved a sigh.

As of now, I wanna get out of this house. The environment is suffocating.

I don't know what to do. I don't know what should I feel.

"So? What are your plans now?" Mrs. Hamlet asked after the long silence.

Ruby sat beside Cauli while I'm here, two seats apart from him. In front of her are mom, dad and  Cauli's parents.

"Ahm... Aunt, we better plan ahead. I mean, we should settle down everything. Our companies will be merged as soon as we could. Nowadays, numbers of competitors are increasing. You know..." Ruby shrugged. "Our businesses are influencial and the best. We could offer them any types of jewelries and gemstones including ruby, jasper, sapphires, crystals, pearls, and many more rare gemstones." Then she smiled.

"Well, I see nothing wrong about your plan, Ruby." Mr. Hamlet stated.

Ruby smiled in mischief while I'm breaking down into pieces. Does it mean, they'll get married as soon as the companies are merged?

Oh, Gorgina! What an unfortunate lover you are.

"That's good to hear, Mr. Hamlet. What about you mom and dad?" Ruby asked, wearing bright smiles.

I don't know if they're sure with this. I could sense from them that they have lots of doubts and hesitation.

"Y-yeah, dear. It's a good idea. Right?" She diverted her eyes to dad.

"Ahm... yeah? But... after the merging, what else are your plans."

"Thank you for your beautiful question, dad." Ruby smiled, chuffed. "After merging our companies, we will start working. And... sooner or later, we will prepare for an engagement party!" She excitedly proclaimed.

"What?!" Cauli creased his head. "What engagement party are you talking about? I won't marry you!"

As a response, Ruby laughed like an evil. She's really chuffed with what's going on.

"Stop pretending, Cauli. We know we love each other..." she took a glance from us and gave a sweet smile before looking back again to Cauli. "We know where will it go. Wedding, right?" She caressed his cheeks but he removed her hand immediately. His forehead still creased.

"So? What are we waiting for? Right away, we should sign the contract! I mean the proposals!" Mrs. Hamlet excitedly stated.

"Yes. And by that, we can start planning the engagement party!" Mr. Hamlet added.

"No!" Cauli stood up. I looked at him with fear. "No one can dictate me when it comes to wedding! I will marry someone who I love the most and want to spend the rest of my life with!"

"But... it's me, Cauli, right?" She desperately asked. Dejection is written on her eyes. "You told me you love me. You told me you want to spend the rest of your life with me. You promised me, Cauli! You promised me! Ouch..." she held her head. We abruptly panicked. I know she's not pretending.

"Ruby? Are you okay?" Mom held her shoulders.

"Mom it hurts! Aaaaa. Daaaad!" She screamed. And after that, she passed out.