Chapter 9

~two months later~

Macy's P.O.V.

It's fair to say that Melo and I have gotten pretty close within the past two months. Either I'm always at his place, or he's at mine. But trust me, I'm not complaining. I like being around Lamelo. And for Paige and O, well, they're dating now, and I so called it.

"Hey, are you excited for today?" I look to my side and see Lamelo standing by my locker.

"You know it. It feels like I've been waiting forever for today." I tell him as I happily sigh.

"I bet, it's all you've been talking about for the past week and a half."

If you're wondering what I'm so excited about, today is basketball tryouts. Yep, you heard me right, basketball tryouts. Everytime I think about it, I get a smile on my face cause... IT'S BASKETBALL TRYOUTS FOR PETE'S SAKE!

"Can you blame me man, it's MUH sport home-dog."

"Yea, don't EVER call me that again," Melo tells me as he laughs.

"Sorry, I'm just REALLY hyped up right now. Like, can school just be over already," I say, jumping up and down.

"Wow, I couldn't tell one bit. Like forreal, it's not noticable AT ALL."

"Ya know, I can just here the sarcasm DRIPPING from your voice."

Lamelo just looks at me, laughs, and shakes his head while dragging me away with him. Yes, it is lunch time, and yes, for once I'm not sprinting down the hallways to get there. I have a very good reason, though. It may not sound like it, but secretly, I'm a little nervous for tryouts, and when I get nervous, I don't have an appetite.

"Well, this is new."

"What is?" I ask Melo, confused.

"For once, it's me having to drag you to lunch," he replied with a chuckle.

"Yea, I guess I'm not really feeling it today," right as I said that, Lamelo stopped and turned towards me. He placed the back of his hand on my forehead, "What?"

"I'm just checking to see if you're sick. You don't feel like it to me." I give him a weird look and he explains himself. "Mace, you are never NOT in the mood for food. Does this have to do with tryouts? Cause I thought you were excited for them."

I sigh and look at him, "I am, trust me, but I'm just slightly nervous, that's all. When I get nervous, I kinda lose my appetite."

"What're you nervous for, you are AMAZING at basketball. You got this in the bag," he reassured me. I smiled at him and nodded my head. I mean, I'm still nervous, but it's nice to know that he has confidence in me.

"Thanks, Melon," I say, calling him a new nickname that came to mind.

"... Did you just call me Melon?"

"Yup!" I say popping the P and jogging towards the cafeteria doors, which just came into view.

"Ok then," he chuckled as he followed me through the doors. We waited in line for a few minutes until we got our food. We got to our table and sat down, eating in silence. It's ok though, we usually eat in silence, but it's always comfortable.

~~~

*RIIIIIIINNNNNNNG*

I rush out of my last class and to my locker. Ok, now's the time to show this school what you got, Macy. Don't screw it up, just play like you usually do and all will go well.

As I'm reassuring myself that everything will go fine at tryouts, Lamelo walks up to my locker and stands by me, waiting quietly. I close my locker and look over at him, giving him a smile.

He smiles back at me and asks, "So, are you ready, and excited?"

"As ready as I'll ever be, but very excited," I answer him, with a nervous laugh.

"Oh come on, stop being nervous, you'll do great."

"Thanks, Melon. I'll stop by to tell you how it goes afterwards," I tell him as I start to walk away.

"Hold up woman, I'm coming, too."

"Wait, what?"

"Yea, I wouldn't miss this for the world. Watching Mace out-perform all the girls in there. I'm almost as excited as you are," he said casually with a big smile on his face.

"You really don't have to," I tell him, laughing nervously.

"To bad, I already told Gelo that he is suppose to come pick us up at 7, so you're stuck with me until then, cause he probably got out of here as fast as he could. No worries though, I'll just be in the bleachers observing."

I let out a sigh and shook my head, laughing. "Ok, whatever."

"Great! Now go get ready, and I'll head to my spot in the bleachers," Melo told me as we entered the gym. "Good luck, you got this!" He yelled as he was half way across the gym from me, giving me a thumbs up.

"Thanks!" I yell back as I turn around and giggle to myself. He's such a dork.

When I get to the locker room, there are already other girls in there getting ready. I put my bag down and change into my basketball clothes. I hope this goes well.

~~~

Wow, am I exhausted or what? After 3 hours of tryouts, consisting of shooting drills, conditioning, and showing our defensive skills, we are finally done.

"Good job today, ladies. I will have the sheets outside my office tomorrow, after school, to show who is on the team. There'll be a JV one and a Varsity one. And to everyone who didn't make, there is still next year, so don't give up and work on your skills," the coach announces as he starts to walk out with the assistant coach.

"You did great out there!" Melo exclaims as he starts to jog towards me from the bleachers.

"I don't know, I could've done better," I say, still nervous about the results.

"Oh, shut up, you were AMAZING. Like I said, you got this in the bag."

"Thanks, Melon. I'm gonna go change, then I'll be ready to go."

"Ok, I'll be out here. Also, can you PLEASE stop calling me Melon?" He asked as he laughed.

"I'll have to think about it," I say shrugging as I start to walk towards the locker room.

I finished changing and started to walk back to the gym.

"You ready?" I ask Melo as I stand in front of him.

He looks up from his phone and says, "Yea, Gelo said he's waiting outside for us."

"Ok, let's go."

We go outside and get into Liangelo's car.

"So, how'd it go?" He asked us.

"I could've done bet-" Lamelo cut me off mid-sentence.

"She did great! She has nothing to worry about, got on varsity for sure."

"That's great, can't wait to see you out there playing." Gelo told me.

"Thanks," I said. After our conversation, the rest of the ride was silent.

Gelo pulled up into my driveway and put the car in park. I grabbed my stuff and started to get out of the car.

"Thanks for the ride, see you guys tomorrow."

"No problem, see ya," Gelo said.

"BYE MACE!" Melo yelled out the window as I was approaching my door.

"BYE MELO!" I yell back as I laugh to myself, and open the door.

Now, all I can do is wait.