Chapter 10

Macy's P.O.V.

Today's the day. I finally get to know if I was good enough to make varsity. For once, I'm excited for school.

I feel like today is gonna be a good day. Not only because I get to find out if I made varsity, but I'm just in one of those moods, ya know? I feel like I could run a marathon! Not that I'm going to do it, because that's a lot of work, but you understand.

"Hey, is your Lamelo taking you to school today?" Zeke asked as he walked downstairs to eat breakfast.

"Not that I know of, but I could text him and ask."

"Ok, please do."

I pulled my phone out of my pocket and noticed that I already had a text from Lamelo.

Ball Boy🏀: Hey we can't pick you up today, we have to go to school earlier than usual, but I'll meet ya there :-)

"Looks like I'm riding with you today," I tell my brother, as I pick my phone and put it back into my pocket.

"Ok, well then are you almost ready?"

"Yea, let me go grab my bag and then we can go," I tell him as I put my dishes in the sink.

I run up to my room, grab my bag, and come back downstairs.

"Ok, I'm ready."

"Great! Let's go."

The car ride was silent for the first few minutes until...

"Question, what's going on with you and that Lamelo guy?" My brother asks out of no where.

"What do you mean?" I ask, obviously confused.

"It's just, you guys are ALWAYS around each other, either you're at his place, or he's at ours. You guys aren't dating, are you?"

"What! No! We're just friends, and friends hang out with each other. There's nothing wrong with that."

"Ok, just making sure. Also, if he's just your friend, then he better not try anything on you, or I'll beat his little ass."

"Oh my gosh, chiiiiiilllllll bro. Nothing's gonna happen, ok. Like I said, were just friend nothing more," I say with an annoyed sigh.

"Ok, ok, I was just wondering."

~~~

I never thought I'd be more excited to be at school. FINALLY! I'm out of the awkward silence in the car after our conversation.

"Hey, Mace, what's up?" I see Lamelo running towards me from the front of the school.

"Hey, not much just got here. What about you? Why'd you have to come early?" I ask him, curious.

"My brother had to make up a test he missed the other day, so I decided to come early with him. I didn't think you wanted to leave earlier than usual, so I didn't ask."

"Oh, ok, and smart move," I tell him while laughing. It's good to know that he knows me well enough to not mess with my sleep.

"Yea, I thought I would be," he responded while laughing along with me. I gave him a smile as we headed to my locker. I put my stuff inside it and grabbed my books for first class.

"I'm going to go take these to the room, wanna come with," I ask Lamelo as I turn towards him.

"No, I wanna stay here and be a loner... Yes I wanna come with!" He says sarcastically.

"Wow, you didn't have to be rude about it."

He gives me a playful glare and starts to lead the way to our first class. I giggle to myself as I jog to catch up with him.

"So, are you ready to be on the varsity team?" He asks as he smirks at me.

"Wow, you're even cocky for other people," I say as I laugh at my joke.

"Hey, what can I say, I'm very confident in your performance from yesterday," he tells me while smiling at me.

"Thanks, I guess," I say giving him a smile.

"Your welcome," he says with one of his goofy smiles on his face.

We finally arrived to the classroom and I put my stuff on the desk next to the one with Lamelo's.

"Wanna go find Paige and O?" I ask Melo as I walk towards the classroom's doorway.

"Sure."

Melo and I walk back towards the lockers, and lucky enough, Paige and O were standing at hers.

"Hey, guys, what's up?" I ask them as I approach them and give Paige a side hug.

"Not much, just grabbing my books for first period. What about you?" Paige replied.

"Lamelo and I just got done taking my stuff to first period."

"Cool, hey, do you wanna hang out after school at my place?" She asks.

"Sure, I have nothing to do, so that'll be fine," I tell her with a smile. Lately, with Melo always wanting me over, and Paige dating O, we haven't had much time I hang out together.

"But I wanted you to come over to my house!" Lamelo whined as Paige closed her locker.

"I think you can go one afternoon without me Melo," I tell him as I laugh. Gosh, he's so cute when he whines. Wait, you can't think that Mace, he's one of your best friends, that's all.

"But what if I can't, what if I Gelo comes in wanting to hang out. I DON'T WANNA HANG OUT WITH HIM, HE MAKES FUN OF MEEEEEEEEE!" He starts to whine even more.

"I can come over, I have nothing to do after school," O suggested.

"But it's not the same," Lamelo says quietly.

"Hey! I heard that," O said, acting offended.

"You were suppose too," Melo told him, laughing.

"Wooooooooooow, I see," O said, laughing along with him.

"Haha, but yea bro, you can come over. We'll have WAY more fun than the girls will," Melo said.

"Oh yea, we TOTALLY will," O said, agreeing.

"You guys are weird," Paige and I said at the same time.

*RIIIIIIINNNNNNNG*

"Well, gotta go, see ya later," I said to Paige.

"Bye, see ya," she said back, waving.

I turned and started walking to class with Melo and O.

~~~

*RIIIIIIINNNNNNNG*

I grabbed my stuff and headed out the door. Ok Mace, don't freak out. Stay calm, and just go check the list.

I hurriedly shoved my books in my locker, put my homework in my bag, and jogged towards the list. I passed by Lamelo on. Y way there, so I grabbed his arm and pulled him with me.

"Come on, we gotta see if I made varsity."

"Ok, ok, I'm coming."

We arrived at the list, which already had a bunch of girls surrounding it. Some are jumping up and down excitedly, while others are walking away with their heads down, I'm guessing they didn't make it.

I patiently stand back with Lamelo at my side, waiting for the area to clear a little before I check.

Finally, there is enough room for me to squeeze in. I walk over there, Melo staying back, and check the lists.

Junior Varsity... Nope none of those are my name.

Varsity... Oh... My... Gosh...

I turn around and run towards Melo.

"I MADE IT, I MADE IT!!!" I shout, jumping into his arms.

"I knew you could do it!" He exclaims as he swings me around.

Wow, I'm on varsity.