// thirty one //

Aaron's POV

My alarm goes off and I immediately shut it down, in fear of waking up Diana. It's only six thirty in the morning and she went to bed after midnight. I take my time to rub my eyes and steal glances at her sleeping beauty. She didn't sleep well last night, she couldn't stop fidgeting in the bed as if her thoughts haunted her. All I could do was scoot closer and provide her as much comfort as I was capable of.

The foul mood I have can be totally blamed on the frown on her face as she sleeps. She's emotionally so shut down that she doesn't talk about remotely anything related to her life. I want to get to know her but I cannot force her to do so. Diana knows everything about my life. And I? I know a little about her family, her social life is filled with parties and her professional life starts and ends at the Publishing House.

But, is that all there is to know about a person? I want to know what makes her happy, what are her favourite songs and which is her favourite place in the world. The stage where Diana and I are, is contaminated with our arguments and constant fights. Yet, I cannot stay away from her.

My phone buzzes, cutting off my thoughts and I look at the notifications. I'm supposed to be at college today, and though I don't want to leave her alone, I will skip classes and come back home early to check her mood and we'll see where things go from there.

After a lot of struggle, I get up from bed and get busy in the morning chores. My parents are out of town, for which I'm thankful. I'm sure they would have created a scene when Diana showed up last night, drunk. Derek didn't come home last night, and I'm hoping he wouldn't show up today either. I don't want Diana and Derek alone here! The thought immediately makes me nauseous. I know I'm not Diana's boyfriend and we're far from being together but it doesn't change how I feel about her.

When I'm just pulling off a t shirt over my head, Diana grumbles in her sleep and stretches her arms out. She rubs her eyes a little and immediately grimaces. Her head must be throbbing because of the hangover. She looks up from the bed and her eyes fall on me.

"Derek?" She calls out and I immediately feel disappointed and hurt at the same time.

How drunk was she that she cannot even recall my correct name? I look away from her and run a hand through my hair.

"No." I respond back, my voice at the edge.

My eyes meet her and there's amusement lining behind the sleep in them, "Shane then?" She asks with a smile and I relax.

"Funny." I roll my eyes and walk towards the bed.

"Good morning to you too."

I just nod at her and sit by her side. She's still lying down in her sleepy state but I can tell she's in a good mood. Every time she has woken up beside me, she was in such a grumpy state but she thought of messing with me early morning, I call that a good start.

"Go back to sleep, I'll be back in two hours after my lecture. Help yourself here, no one will be disturbing you, you have the house to yourself." I inform her and she nods, yawning a little.

Her blonde hair are a mess on her head, and she just looks so sick. I run a hand through her hair a little and she smiles. "How do you feel?" I ask.

"My head feels like it will explode any moment." She whines before turning around on the bed.

"Aspirin and water are by your side. I'll make pancakes and leave them by the kitchen, have them and just keep yourself hydrated." I order and she gives me a look.

"Anything else, Sir?" She mocks before closing her eyes and I shake my head even though she can't see me.

I stand up from the bed, picking my backpack from beside the desk and take a last glance at her. She has already dozed off, so I just lean over and place a quick peck on her cheeks before leaving the room and then the house.