// seventy five //

His reply immediately makes me frown, a strange feeling overtaking my insides as I stare at him. It's the feeling that's there when something absolutely worse takes place in my life.

I probably heard him wrong, Diana's parents are dead. She told me herself.

"Pardon?" I say, and my eyes move to Diana who looks even paler, if that's possible.

A scowl takes over my face as I keep my gaze at her. She looks like she'll burst into a yell or in tears. I am not sure which one I'd prefer – none, probably.

She clears her throat, "They are not." She barely whispers and something turns into knots in my stomach.

"Are you really going to say that while we are standing right here?" The man says and I want to tell him something to make him back off, anything but I come up with nothing.

Somewhere in the back of my head, I hear the DJ calling the newly wed on the dance floor for their first dance. I shake my head as I refuse to look at anyone but Diana, because I know she wouldn't lie to me — not after everything we have been through.

"Yes, I am. Because you are not. We might share the same last name, but that's as far as it goes." She snaps at him and I feel my thoughts turning in my head.

What the hell is going on?

Her gaze moves to me and she looks me in the eyes, and I see fear behind hers. She's afraid. What the hell is she afraid of?

"I need to talk to you, alone." She pleads but something, my very strong gut feelings causes me to shake my head.

"Tell me what's going on, right now, right here. In front of them." I say and a small tear leaves her eyes, meanwhile the woman, Viviana is already crying.

"Ana.." she calls out for Diana but she shakes her head.

"Don't, Mrs. Rose. Don't."" She says, her tone as stern as ever.

"Are these your parents, Diana?" I ask, looking right into her eyes and she stares at me, speechless.

She shakes her head, as if getting rid of some troubling thoughts. "Do I have their genes? Yes." She says and I feel something breaking inside of me.

How can this be possible? By having their genes, can she imply that they are some extended family members? God, fuck! My hand meets the roots of my hair and I feel like ripping them out.

"How? You told me your parents are dead." I say, and I hear Viviana gasp loudly, before bursting into sobs.

"Did you tell him that?" David asks her and she doesn't pay heed to him, her eyes fixed at me.

"Because they are. My parents are dead." She says loudly, her gaze momentarily shifting to the man and I shake my head, too messed up in my own head to make a sense out of what is happening.

"How dare you?" He says, taking a threatening step towards her but I immediately come to stand in front of her.

Diana sucks in a breath at the sudden movement and I stare at the man. There's anger behind them but I don't give a fuck. He cannot take a threatening step towards the girl I love and expect me to stand there like a statue even though I am majorly pissed at her.

"This is a family matter, I suggest you take a step aside." He orders me but I refuse to budge.

Who the hell does he think he is? Even if he is Diana's father, I'll care about my good-man image later.

"I'm sorry Sir, I am afraid I can't do that." I tell him and he glares at me.

Before he can respond, I hear a little shuffle before I feel someone tugging at my pants. When I look down, Emily is standing there with a small smile on her face, oblivious to everything.