// ninety one //

DIANA'S POV

I step out of the taxi and stand outside Marin General Hospital, my suitcase by my side as Aaron's sweatshirt lies on top of it, half sleeves shirt covering my body due to the sudden change in weather. The taxi driver drives away after I have paid him and take in a deep breath, my hands shaking as I pull out my phone and look at the blank screen.

Aaron called half an hour ago, to check up and I told him that I landed safely. He would have called again but I informed him that I'm going straight to the hospital. So, he asked me to contact him after I get free from here.

I feel like someone has thrown me back in time as soon as this town started greeting me with familiar sights. A shaky breath leaves my lips as I start walking inside, but the hospital is big enough for me to get lost, so I go straight to the reception.

"Hi, can you tell me in which room Viviana Rose is?" I ask, my voice almost feeble that I don't recognise it for a second as I clear my throat.

She nods, checking into the computer but then she gets distracted as another nurse call outs for her. I keep taking deep breaths, telling myself to keep my composure as I wait for her to get back.

When she does, she gives me an apologetic smile, "Sorry, can you repeat the patient's name again?" She asks.

"Sheriff's wife, I am looking for her. If that will help out." I tell her, trying to keep my voice in check.

Her eyes widen, as she nods, "Are you family?"

"Yeah, I am her daughter." I say, a weird feeling seeping in as I say that aloud.

"Mary, lead her in." She tells someone and the woman gives me a nod.

She motions her head as if asking me to follow her, so I do, carrying my bag along as I silently walk behind her. I try my best not to pay attention to the weeping relatives in the hallways. When she opens the door I read the board above and my breath hitches a little.

MARIN CANCER INSTITUTE

She gives me a look of pity as I try to wrap my head around what I just read. When we come outside a door, she halts and gives me a moment before she pushes open the door, giving me space to walk in. When I finally do enter, I leave my bag by the entrance and look at the bed in the middle of the room, my mother lying there with strands of a few white shining as I notice the wires attached to her hand.

Her eyes are shut closed, but it doesn't look like she's sleeping, in fact, she looks weak, really weak as her cheeks are hollow and I gulp, trying to keep my heart intact even though the sight is enough to make me want to fall down on my knees.

"Anna?" I hear my father's voice and turn to see him sitting on a couch.

He's wearing a polo t-shirt with black jeans, his hair are tousled and his eyes look heavy, as if they are carrying all the burden of the world with the dark circles underneath them. There are wrinkles on his face, wrinkles that I don't remember from four years ago.

"You came." He whispers, standing up, as if he doesn't really believe that I am here, much like I don't.

"Yeah." I nod, whispering.

"Anna? Is that you?" I hear a groggy voice behind me and turn to see my mother's eyes open.

I suck in a gasp as I nod, "Hey." I whisper, and she smiles, really smiles as she sits up.

"Come here." She gestures from her hands.

I close my eyes for a second, before nodding, as I walk towards her and sit on the chair besides her bed. She gestures to my hand and I give it to her as she lightly holds in her grasp, her touch bringing a familiar touch that I didn't know I have been missing from such a long time. I look into her eyes which are already glassy with tears.