// forty four //

Aaron's POV

Her lips are as sweet as ever against mine as I kiss her back, closing any distance between us as my hands find her waist and hers roam to my neck. She bites on my lower lip, and I have to stop myself from grunting out a moan. Fuck, I missed her so much!

I didn't realise it until now, not until I held her in my arms like my life fucking depended on it. I let out a relieved sigh in the kiss as I keep my hands at her back, wanting to be closer to her if that's even possible.

Our breaths hitch at the same time as we hear the movement on the door and we both part away from the kiss together, our eyes directing to the front door, but I don't let go of her, and neither does she. Ella steps inside with Emily right in front of her, but her hands are covering the little girl's eyes. With a grin still stretched across her face, Ella's eyes land on us and she looks taken aback, almost shocked as her face falls.

Diana lightly pushes me away and I let go of her this time. Fuck! What the hell just happened? The overwhelming emotions take over my heart as I study Diana's face while she doesn't even bother to give me glance.

"Later." She tells Ella, motioning to Emily and she nods.

Ella kneels down behind the birthday girl and speaks in her ear, "Alright, I'm going to let you go now." She says before removing her hand from her eyes.

The little girl steps forward in the living room with her eyes wide in surprise and her jaw hanging low in the air. Her eyes roam around the whole room before they come to settle on Diana and she lets out a yelp of happiness.

"Mommy!" She almost cries as she comes running to her.

Diana laughs as she holds her daughter up in her arms, "Like it?" She asks.

Emily nods her head as she kisses Diana's cheeks and she stares back at her like she represents the whole meaning of world to her. I've never seen Diana smile so much, but right in this moment, as I witness her as a mother, I understand her a bit more than I ever did before.

Her best friend locks the door behind as she comes to stand behind the kitchen counter, giving me the curious looks which I successfully dodge. She wanted to talk to me when I called her up to ask what are Diana's favourite flowers, but I told her I was busy, hence ignoring her yet again.

"Mom, who's that?" Emily asks with a cute little frown on her head as she stares at me.

Besides the fact that she's a kid, the way her eyes gaze at me, I almost fidget as I wait for Diana to respond to her daughter, and make the situation less uncomfortable for me. I've never dealt with kids before, hell, I don't even remember talking to a kid ever in my life.

"That's your mommy's friend," Diana tells her as she smiles at her daughter and glances at me.

Friend? Is that what we are now? I have no idea why Diana invited me today, I know for a fact that she wasn't ready for me to meet her daughter, ever. Especially since I walked out on her. And no one can imagine how much I regretted that decision in the last week when I realised that we could actually make this work. Her being a mother doesn't change how I feel about her, in fact, it just shows me another side to her life that I wasn't aware existed before. I need to talk to her, tell her how deeply I feel for her, and no matter what stupid actions I take, these feelings won't go anywhere.

Emily extends her hand forward, cutting my trail of thoughts as she beams at me through Diana's arms, "Hi, I'm Emily." She says, her speech still unclear but clear enough for me to understand.

Are kids usually this forward? I glance at Diana and almost laugh at the realisation that this is her daughter, of course she'll be as forward as her mother. I shake off my thoughts as Diana gives me an encouraging nod and I step forward to shake Emily's tiny hands.