// eighty two //

Aaron's POV

I left Diana's apartment around five in the evening, only because I knew I had to go back to my place and take my parents' gift before coming to have dinner with them. How bad is it that my own apartment doesn't feel like home to me? The only place where I feel a sense of comfort is when Diana and I are together.

Sighing, I knock on the door of my parents' house. I patiently wait before ringing the bill and the door shoots open. My face covers up in surprise when I look at Lizzie standing in front of me. She gives me a small smile and almost on instinct, I move to give her a hug which turns into a huge smile from her.

"How have you been, stranger?" She asks.

We haven't talked much since the day she found out about Emily, mostly because things could have turned awkward. Also, I didn't know what to say to her. She used to be my best friend, and now that feels like a label to me. We don't know anything about each other as of recently and only we are to blame from that.

"I am good, Liz. You look great by the way."

She's wearing her yellow dress and when she hears my compliment, she grins. "Ashley, Josh and Kevin have been hunting your ass, you know? Everyone misses you." She shrugs as we step in the living room.

I nod. I miss my friends too, but my life has been busy as hell with catching up with college and the job, along with my relationship. The last part is the only thing which doesn't take effort and makes me happy.

"We can plan to meet soon." I say, although I am not sure how Diana would feel about it.

"Aaron, darling!" I hear my mother's voice and she immediately wraps me in her embrace. I sigh, returning it.

"Merry Christmas, Mother." I peck her cheeks.

"Merry Christmas, my love. Your father has been waiting for you all day, c'mon." She drags me to the couches and I sigh, stopping to keep my bag of gifts underneath the tree.

"Son." My father stands up and pats my back as I hug him.

"Merry Christmas, Dad." I say and he cracks a smile.

He nods back,"How was Chicago?" He asks, making my mother freeze in her place.

I look around everyone — my family, Lizzie's family and distant relatives that we haven't met in years. I have no idea why my mother wanted to do all this.

"It was pretty good." I smile but it does nothing to calm my mother, "We can discuss the details later."

Both of them nod and my mother sets up the dinner table so I help her out. After what feels like fifteen minutes later, the front door opens and a snow laced Derek steps in.

"It's snowing cats and dogs outside." He chatters his teeth.

He comes to Mom, greeting her as he kisses her cheek and then hugs Dad. Something about him looks changed though, although I have a hard time pointing it out. It's not in his physical appearance, it's in his personality.

"Hey brother." He smirks.

I roll my eyes, "Merry Christmas, Derek!"

"Merry Christmas, little brother." He grins, making me shake my head.

When my mother announces dinner, everyone gathers around the table and takes a seat. I am seated between Derek and Lizzie, which is like the last thing I wanted but I am not complaining, across me is my father's brother, Uncle Levi and his wife, Aunt Eerie. Yup, that's her name.

We all close our eyes as Lizzie's family says their grace, which they normally do but since I don't, I just close my eyes and listen to them thank god for the food provided. As soon as they are done, I start devouring the mashed potatoes with the grilled chicken Mom made, and it's pretty good.