// seventy one //

Aaron's POV

My palms are sweating as I lock the car behind myself and walk up to the porch of my parent's house. It feels like a lifetime ago that I used to live here. I sigh before pressing the doorbell and just few seconds later, my mother opens the door.

Her smile is so wide that I immediately suspect something but then she wraps her arms around me like she used to when I was a kid and I forget about my nerves for a while.

"Hey, I have missed you." She tells me and I immediately agree.

"I have, too. Where is dad?" I ask, getting in as I look around the place where I first met Diana.

"He'll be here, in few minutes." She says.

"And Derek?" I question, my voice a little bitter but she gives me a look.

"He moved out. He's staying in Queens, couldn't afford an apartment in Manhattan." She shrugs and my eyes go wide in surprise.

"Really? He moved out? About time." I say.

"He's your brother, Aaron. He'll always be your brother." She says and I sigh.

"I know, Mom. I get it. I respect him but he has to earn the trust someday."

I don't think he can, though. He used to be my best friend before he turned into a bully. I cannot stand the sight of him right now for what he put me through with Diana. I shake off the negative thoughts before settling myself down in living room. My mother offers me wine but I decline it, comforting myself with the water even though alcohol would seriously help me with my nerves.

Almost immediately I miss Diana more than ever, we are together but I miss the comfort and warm she provides me when she's by my side. It's almost like her confidence influences me in a way that I feel as confident as her, ready to do anything. I might sound dependent on her, which would be toxic but I am not, I am just in love with an amazing woman who makes me a better version of myself.

"Where are you lost?" My mother cuts my trail of thoughts and I give her my full attention.

"Nowhere. Just thinking. How are things at home now that we both have moved out?" I ask, trying to detect any hint of loneliness.

"Peaceful." She breathes and I smile, content that my parents are fine.

I want to bring up the fact that I am meeting Lilly, in less than ten days. Charlotte's getting married next weekend but Diana and I decided to stay two days longer in Chicago. She planned it in a way that I can meet the woman who gave birth to me.

"Spill, what's up with you?" My mother nudges me and I take a deep breath.

Would it be alright to talk right now? I guess so. My father would be thoroughly pissed but I believe that I can handle my mother, that's why I probably should break the news to her before Dad comes home.

"There's something you need to know," I start and suddenly she's on the edge of her seat, waiting for me to speak. I rub my palms against my jeans I prepare myself to speak further, "First of all, Diana and I sorted out things." I inform her and her eyes widen at first but then she gets that offended look on her face that she does whenever I mention Diana.

"She forgave you for kissing another girl?" She asks, making me feel guilty but I nod.

"She did."

She scoffs, "I am sure she did. She probably understands as she can't stick to a single man herself."

Her words immediately makes my skin prickle as I stare dead-on at her. I tighten my fist as I remind myself that she is my mother and I always have to respect that. With my voice a little harsh I speak, "Mother, please don't." I beg and warn at the same time.