// sixty eight //

I stand in the corner of the hospital room as I observe Aaron sitting by Emily on the bed and how her smile hasn't faltered since the moment he has stepped in here. He even made her drink milk and have all the fruits that came for her as a breakfast. That is a hard job, and yet for Aaron it seemed like a piece of cake.

He must have noticed me staring because his eyes flicker to me and I immediately feel like letting out a long sigh, as if that will solve and let go of all the problems. A small smile is there around his mouth as he looks back at me, but I see the hint of sadness in his eyes. I haven't been this vulnerable in a long time and right now, I feel like hugging him and just breaking down.

Emily looks between the two of us and quietly lies down on the bed and closes her eyes. I stifle a laugh at her dramatic act. She's pretending to sleep so that Aaron and I would talk, she's my daughter and by now, I am very much aware of her antics. Aaron looks at her with an amused smile before looking back at me.

He stands from the bed and makes his way to me, making me straighten my composure immediately. "Have you eaten anything since last night?" He asks and I nod my head.

"Yup." I avoid his gaze as I focus down on my sneakers, obviously lying. I couldn't get anything down my throat knowing that my baby is sick.

"Diana, look at me," he says, his finger coming to rest under my chin as he makes me look into his eyes, "I'm going to get you something to eat, okay?"

I shake my head, my emotions overwhelming me immediately, "Why are you here, Aaron? We are done, aren't we? So what the hell are you doing here?" I question, my voice low yet my tone harsh. If I am not rude to him, I'll end up on my knees, begging him not to go.

He looks taken aback with my questions, "I am here because I love that little girl as much as I love you. I can't sit at home knowing that you two are here alone in a hospital." He retorts back and I see the hurt in his tone.

I want to snap at him and cry out about the fact that he's not going to be here always but I keep my mouth shut as I retract my gaze away from him. I don't want to argue with him when Emily is just a few steps away. He sighs and I look at him again before just giving him a slight nod.

"Sandwich or burger?" He asks and I shake my head.

"Nothing, I am not hungry." I say, and my body betrays me when my stomach makes a grumbling sound.

"Yup. Sandwich it is." He smirks before leaving the room and I let out a huge sigh.

Emily slowly peeks through one eye and when she realises that Aaron isn't in the room, she scowls at me, sitting up and crossing her arms across her chest, conveying that she's mad at me. I narrow my eyes a little as I go to sit beside her on the bed and she lets out a little grunt.

"What?" I frown at her.

"Why won't you talk to him?" She asks and I gape at her.

"Weren't you supposed to be sleeping?" I tease her.

"Mommy!" She whines and I smile.

"We are in a bad place right now." I say, trying to put it as simply as I can for her.

"Then solve!" She pouts and I scoot closer to her.

"It isn't that easy. And that's adult business. You're a child." I ruffle her hair and she blinks at me but doesn't say anything, "How are you feeling now?" I ask.

"This hurts." She points to her IV and I grimace just thinking about it before kissing her forehead.

"You're gonna be okay." I hug her and she does the same.