Chapter 21: Black and Blue

After spending three days at Tails' lab Sonic had had enough of waiting around. Tails was right, although Sonic hadn't wanted to admit it. He should have listened to Tails after all, Shadow and Amy still hadn't returned to Tails' home. He had been sure that they would come back. They had been with Tails all of this time, he just assumed that they would return eventually. Although after all of the time that had passed by he was starting to realize that his assumption really might have been wrong.

He was beginning to get fed up with hanging around Tails' lab this whole time. He cared about Tails, he was like a brother to him but he knew Tails had better things to do than just hear him bitch and moan about finding out what Shadow and Amy were doing. Especially because he was sure that his best friend was already aware of what they were doing.

Sonic had been spending a lot of time looking outside of Tails' window in his living room. Tails had been hard at work in his lab while he continued tinkering with the device that he was making for a 'friend' as the young fox had put it. The blue hedgehog glanced over at his own communicator.

Tails had fixed up the contraption on his wrist and the young fox seemed to take great pleasure in having Sonic check if everything was working correctly. Tails had a penchant for trying to make sure that his devices' were functioning the way he had intended. It suddenly hit Sonic as he ogled the contraption on his wrist that it was very similar to the sketches from the Connector diagrams that Tails had spread throughout his room.

Sonic was beginning to wonder why that was. He turned to face the window and looked outside again. He figured he should let Tails know that he was going to take a quick run around.

"Hey Tails!" Sonic called out as he walked towards the drapes that covered Tails' workshop. He went through the curtains as he watched Tails turn to face him while he held the same gadget that he had been working on the other day. He was curious why it was taking so long for Tails to fix this creation but it had only taken him about five minutes to fix his.

"Oh, what's up Sonic?" He asked.

"I'm gonna go out for a run."

"Are you gonna come back?" Tails questioned while he held the device out in the open.

"I wouldn't mind." Sonic said this but he had intended from the start to come back.

"Yeah, just let me know when you get back."

"I'll let you know." Sonic agreed as he left Tails' workshop.

Sonic had begun running around Tails' lab. All he wanted was some fresh air for a couple of hours. It had begun to get stuffy in Tails' house. He couldn't help but marvel at the fact that Amy had lasted so long in there without going mad. At least he could leave whenever he wanted, but it sounded like in Amy's case that it was next to impossible.

Sonic had thought about returning a little sooner than he had planned originally but he then he started thinking about Tails. He looked like he was really trying to focus on what he was doing. Sonic decided he should try to stay outside just a bit longer and that was when he saw a red blur shoot past him.

"Shadow?" He asked himself, as the scarlet haze dashed into the woods in the direction of Shadow's campsite.

Sonic smirked and quickly darted towards him. The tree leaves were rustling as the two hedgehogs speed forced them to sway erratically as they rocketed through the forest. Shadow must have noticed the blue hedgehog trying to reach him, because at some point Shadow had begun swaying wildly rather than in a straight line as he had before.

Sonic dashed ahead directly towards him as he tried to follow him without making the same crazed motions as the black hedgehog in front of him. Then in an instant he had vanished. Sonic slid to a stop as he looked towards his left and then his right in a rash effort to find the ultimate life form. Sonic glanced forward and realized that the trees had given him a hint of where Shadow had run off to.