Chapter 25: To Each His Own

Shadow kept looking from Amy to Knuckles as he tried to decipher for himself what was wrong with her.

He couldn't figure it out.

It didn't look like anything was wrong with her as he noticed that she was resting comfortably on the floor, but he wasn't sure. She had looked just as peaceful when he had knocked her unconscious before. He had no clue how anyone would know for sure after that.

"She's asleep?" Shadow asked skeptically.

Why would the Connector say something was wrong with her if it was about something as simple as that?

"No doubt about it." Knuckles responded, as he took another look at the unconscious pink hedgehog.

Shadow sat next to her but kept staring at her, how could he be so sure?

"How can you tell?" He asked.

Knuckles narrowed his eyes at him, "You don't think I can tell whether someone is asleep or not?"

Shadow had jolted at his comment; he wasn't sure why he doubted the guardian. She could be asleep after all. But he couldn't tell, he just wanted to be sure. For things like this he had grown accustomed to asking Tails for his opinion and now that he wasn't here, he was having trouble figuring this much out by himself. But, Knuckles was an average mobian just Amy and Tails, so maybe he did know at least that much?

"Trust me, she's asleep." Knuckles tried reassuring him again, but he could tell that the black hedgehog was still unconvinced.

"Right." Shadow answered skeptically.

"Would it make you feel better if you asked Tails?" Knuckles asked suddenly.

Shadow was surprised; it was like he had read his mind.

"I think..." he looked at her again, "I would like to take her to him when she looks strong enough to make it there."

The red echidna kept inspecting Shadow, "You and Tails get along well?" that seemed to be the only thing that Knuckles could really tell about Shadow.

He had constantly spoken to Tails for most of their stay there; it was obvious that they must be somewhat comfortable with each other to stay in contact with each other like that.

"Yes."

"Has something like this happened before?"

"Yes, but she wasn't sleeping that time."

"Are you sure?" Knuckles smirked in response.

Shadow glared at him, but tried to ignore him.

It was quiet.

"That explains why you were on edge before." Knuckles muttered to himself.

"I wasn't on edge." Shadow countered and quickly glanced at Amy.

"She's not going to wake up that fast." Knuckles snickered when he noticed Shadow had looked her way.

Shadow faced forward, he groaned, "I know."

Two hours had passed and the red echidna noticed that Shadow still seemed unconvinced that she was simply sleeping. He kept looking at a device on his wrist and looking at her. It seemed he was still trying to figure out what to do with her.

"I'm telling you, she's probably just tired from all of the training." Knuckles observed as he watched him.

"So you keep saying." Shadow responded gruffly.