Chapter 26: At A Loss

Knuckles had sat back down as he watched the two stumble down the stairs. They both stopped their descent and surprisingly checked on one another, walked further down the steps, and sat next to each other.

Everything they did only further served to confuse Knuckles. Did they hate each other? Did they care about each other? These were things that he was sure he would never understand. Although they had stayed together for two whole months, it seemed that they could not open their mouths without arguing about something or other despite this. He didn't know what their problem with each other was but he didn't want to hear them anymore.

"They're fucking weird." He decided.

"What's wrong with those two?" A woman's voice asked.

"They're being dumbasses." Knuckles responded irritated, and then jolted when he realized that he should have been the only one left on the temple after he had thrown Amy and Shadow down the stairs, "How long have you been here?!"

The white bat sat down next to him, "Long enough."

"How long?" Knuckles persisted as he crossed his arms and looked at her menacingly.

"A few days, I was going to take some stuff from the temple again but you had more eyes watching. I had to take a break." She confessed.

"A few days?" Knuckles repeated and as he began thinking to himself he realized something, "Did you say 'again', you greedy bat!?" He stood up and clenched his fists to his sides at this realization.

She looked away, "No..." obviously lying.

Knuckles threw himself back on the platform and groaned, "Great."

Shadow and Amy were sitting near the bottom of the steps while they waited for the red echidna to calm down.

"What was his problem?" Amy asked.

"I don't know."

Amy was leaning on her right hand as she looked at Shadow, "So, six hours huh?"

"Six hours."

"Anything happen?"

"Tails came by to let me know that you somehow managed to fall asleep while we were fighting."

"Where is he?" It didn't look like she had expected that answer.

"He went back to his lab; we need to go there today."

Amy looked up at the temple and then back at Shadow, "Do you want to leave now?"

"Now?" Shadow hadn't thought about leaving so soon, "Are you sure?"

She seemed serious, "It doesn't sound like he cares if we come back right away or not." Amy responded as she motioned with her eyes at Knuckles.

Shadow smirked, "Alright, let's ditch him."

"What did you take?" Knuckles demanded while he continued lying on the floor, wondering when she had been successful in taking things from the temple.

"Nothing you'll miss."

"Rouge."

"Or at least nothing you have missed."

"What the fuck is that supposed to mean?"

"If you really didn't notice until now, then it really is nothing that you'll miss." She shrugged.