The Test of Life and Death

In the fluffy clouds above, somewhere where aeroplanes can't even reach, a long, black shape moved in and out.

But the longer you look at it, the more you realise that it's a-

"Fang-!" Ying complained, as another mouthful of clouds was stuffed into her mouth, and down again they go. "Stop-!" And another mouthful of clouds. "Going-!" And another. "Up-! And-! Down!!!!"

Fang could only howl with laughter as the two sat on Fang's shadow dragon, which fluent body was going in and out of the clouds. Yaya was flying above them, trying to keep them in view, in case they disappear, and trying not to laugh.

"Keep your mouth shut, Ying!" Yaya shouted back.

To her surprise, after a few gallops, no more of Ying's voice could be heard after that. A tall wall of cloud came up ahead, but they were too fast to dodge it-

"Look out!" Yaya yelled.

And Ying and Fang went through, leaving behind a shape of their bodies behind, and they themselves soaking wet. 

"L.O.L." Fang said out loud, glancing at the wall of cloud.

Yaya giggled, she had saw the entire event happened below her. Because she was flying so high, the tall wall of clouds didn't reach her. After a few moments, they could see something gleaming in the sunlight else ahead now: The Gates of Heaven.

The shadow dragon came to a stop and bent its head low, for Fang and Ying to climb down, then it dissipated into strings of black. Yaya landed beside them.

It has been some time since they were last here.

"Imma open the door, I didn't do it last time," Fang said proudly, as he marched towards the grilles and curled his fingers against the gold.

He pushed with all his might. But again, the grilles barely even moved.

Yaya sighed. "You're not supposed to do that. Let go."

"Hold on, I got it..."

"Just let go!"

"OK, OK!"

Fang took back his hands, staring at his results, but nothing there was no difference.

"I should go back pushing it." he said.

"No, look." Ying pointed at the grilles which were slowly opening backwards. A wave of cold mist consumed them, and Heaven revealed itself.

"I forgotten how it feels like being here." Yaya smiled as she waved at the citizens, which were more friendlier compared to last time.

"Yeah." Ying agreed. "It feels like forever."

They continued their journey until they were back at the City Hall. The golden apple trees here were as healthy as ever and the water sprinkling from the fountain looked so fresh it could've been drunk. The three didn't look around much before stepping foot into the City Hall, which was made majorly out of polished white marble.

A fellow angle came rushing to their presence, his head bowed low, so that they could not see his face.

"What is your purpose here, fellow angles?" he said in low tones.

"We're Light Soul fighters," Yaya corrected politely. "And-"

She paused because the angel had shot up to look at them straight in the eye. His eyes bulged momentarily, as if he couldn't believe what he was seeing.

"So..." he said slowly, after a moment of silence. "We meet again."

"Meet again?" Fang asked, his eyebrows furrowed, thinking when they had met before.

"Oh!" Ying exclaimed. "You're the same angel that came to us here three years ago, right?"

The angel smiled. "That is correct."

"Wow." Ying said, her eyes glittering with fascination. "I can't believe we're meeting again in the same place again after three years. It just seems to weird to be a coincidence."

Still smiling, probably as amazed as Fang, Yaya and Ying were, he attempted to nod earnestly.

"Why are you here again, may I ask?"

"We're here to get the Chains of Immortality, to seal the Gates of Hell," Fang explained.

All the happiness seemed to leak away from the angel's face, to be replaced by terror.

"You can't." he said grimly.

"Why not?" Yaya asked, perplexed on this sudden change of mood. For a while he was very intent on helping, but now it was as if he wanted nothing more than to walk away from them. But of course, he was forced to stay with them until they have gone.

He struggled for words, like the terror behind this act was too horrible to be put into words. "I-in order to g-get the Chains of Immortality from L-Lord Gonzalu, you must face his test."

"Ala," Fang said dismissively. "His test must be a piece of cake."

The angel shot him a glare that would've turned anyone into dust. "Do not underestimate the abilities of Lord Gonzalu, Light Soul fighter."

"We'll see him first." Ying insisted.

The angel took a moment or two before saying in an exasperated voice. "Don't regret it. Follow me."

He brought them into Lord Gonzalu's throne room. This was their second time here, and there wasn't a sense of amazement at this anymore. The room seemed more fearful than the last time they set foot in here. Lord Gonzalu didn't look grand anymore, but rather powerful in his large throne. They stopped a few meters before the throne, and Lord Gonzalu, as old and wise as ever, looked down upon them like dirt found under his shoes.

"What is your purpose here, Light Soul fighters?"

This time, the angel kept quiet, keen to not make a single sound. They could hear him muttering rapidly under his breath. So it came to either the three of them to answer.

Yaya and Ying looked at Fang, and indicated that he should reply. Well, it was two against one, and he was outnumbered here. Helpless girls. He gathered all his courage to speak out the next few words.

"W-we request for the Chains of Immortality." Fang said. And when there was no reply, he added, "My Lord."

Lord Gonzalu sank down deeper into his throne, deep in thought. Yaya, Ying and Fang exchanged worried looks. There was nothing else in the world that they regretted more than now. What would be the test, and what challenge would face them? Would it be intelligence or a mission that they must complete?

"Very well." Lord Gonzalu said finally.

"What?" the three of them said in unison, shocked at this.

"But you must face a test, a test that may result in your death if you fail."

They shrunken once again. Fear echoed around the room as Lord Gonzalu got up from his throne. He was a giant that was four times taller than them, and they were defenceless against him, even though Fang, Yaya and Ying could feel their powers in the urge to explode from the power bands. They noticed from the corners of their eyes the angel hurrying to flee the scene, so that it was only them, and Lord Gonzalu.

He was directly in front of them when he finally halted, still looking down at them from his tiny nose. "Are you prepared?"

"Prepared for what?" Ying asked timidly.

His surprised blue eyes travelled to Ying, as if he never heard anything more ridiculous or anyone more lost.

"A battle with me, of course."