powerfully powerless

"Thank you for today" we were now in my car and I was driving her to her house.

" any time" I glanced over to her and she smiled.

"God! I can't remember the last time I cried that hard" she chuckled.

"Why did you comfort me after I told you not to?" She faced me. I glanced her way again.

"I couldn't do it" I simply said. And I felt my hands tighten around the wheels as I thought about her loud painful sobs.

"Couldn't do what?"

" I couldn't just remain seated and watch you torture yourself with the memories." I stopped the car and parked at the roadside.

"You promised me that you wouldn't do so"

"No I didn't,I didn't verbally say,I promise."

"But you nodded."

"Doesn't count, it's not a confirmation in my book" she let out a frustrated sigh.

"I don't get why you're so frustrated. You were literally thanking me 2 minutes ago." I said raising my hands up in surrender.

"This has never happened to me before . Crying in someone else's arms. It's just outside my comfort zone." She sighed and stared at the empty road in front of us.

"There's a first time for everything christelle. It was the first time that I ever held someone I loved like that before." She turned to me with wide eyes. I was confused at first and then I realised what I said.

"Did you just say that you....love me?" She asked cautiously.

"No" I said rather too quickly  "I mean,yes I said love,but I was just saying that to get a point across." I was stuttering.

She smiled.

"What I meant was, i never comforted someone while they cried. That's it. Nothing more,nothing less." I sighed at the end and rubbed my forehead.

She started chuckling to herself.

"What are you laughing at?" I asked looking at her as if she just lost her sanity.

" you" i rolled my eyes.

"Because....." I drawled.

"Because, Maui." She exaggerated my name in her sentence. " you're a terrible liar and cute when stuttering." I raised a brow.

"And how's that funny?"

"Well I thought that after what happened that this car ride would be awkward. But you're making everything easy." I smiled at her comment.

"By being a laughing stock?"

"And being good at it" she winked at me.

We sat there for another 5 minutes in comfortable silence before I started the car and carried on with our journey. Her father wasn't in town so I parked in her driveway. We both got out of the car and I escorted her to the door.

"I wanna ask you something Maui." She said smiling.

I shrugged and smiled back.

"Ask away."

" Those tattoos on you. What do they represent?" She leaned against the door behind her. I checked my arms and under my suit jacket as if I could see the other tattoos underneath.

" you could say that it's a map of all the victories I've win." I smirked,thinking about the adventures I had over the years as a demi God.

She smirked.