scenario seven

Scenario number seven

Special characters: Jenny, Wade, Matthew, Harry, Tina, Aiden, AJ

"Are you okay, cousin?" Harry asks Matthew when noticing his sudden change of attitude.

"Gemma and I used to be like them," Matthew sulks, staring at Eleanor and Lewis, who are sitting together in one lunch table, smiling like idiots while eating and chitchatting.

Harry rolls his eyes. "Eleanor's lucky that our science activity got rescheduled."

"I wonder if Gemma and I would become a couple again." Matthew groans miserably. "I really miss her, why am I such a jerk?"

"You guys held quite a scene earlier.." Harry smirks, recalling the morning.

Matthew scowls at him. "Thanks for making me feel better."

"Seriously? This is why you should just remain single like me!" Harry advises his cousin. "Committing yourself to be with someone is just bullshit. We all know no one in this world can stick with the capability of only getting to fool around with one person."

"Lewis and Eleanor started dating since our sophomore year," Matthew enviously says, ignoring everything Harry is saying, "they're never going to break up. Fuck, I'm such a jerk."

"Hey, mates!" Wade playfully sits next to Matthew. "I'm so glad today is Friday, the cafeteria serves the best food every Fri—"

"W-Wade?" Jenny stammers, touching her best friend's shoulder.

Wade turns to see Jenny, whose eyes are red. "Hey, Jen. What's up?" Wade and Jenny don't always eat lunch together, especially when it's a Friday since Jenny prefers the playground than the cafeteria, and Wade does not want to miss out the best fried chicken to be served every Friday. "Where's your lunch? Are you okay?"

"I-I don't have my lunch. I was thinking of going to the playground... you want to join me?" Jenny invites him, trying to form a smile.

"Sorry, birdie, but it's a Friday and the gang hangs out together every—" Harry begins.

"I'm coming." Wade stands up, "sorry guys, Jen needs me." Wade can clearly see what's going on inside Jenny despite her plastic smile and straight posture, and he wanted to help her.

As soon as Wade and Jenny leave, Matthew and Harry look at each other.

"Those two will get married in no time," Matthew comments with a hint of teasing in his voice.

Harry just frowns at him. "Have you been listening to what I was saying?"

Matthew ignores him, then points at a guy sitting alone on one of the tables, eating his lunch peacefully. Harry follows his finger. "I miss when Aiden would hang out with his," Matthew murmurs quietly with a sigh.

Harry only nods. "It's shitty how AJ would always snatch him away from us before," Matthew says, "and now he's devoted to him."

"Yeah." Harry agrees plainly.

Matthew raises both of his eyebrows at Harry. "Didn't you two used to be close?"

Harry shrugs, then he stretches his arms. "Gonna go get one of the junior girls to line up for me," he smiles sneakily, "since you're single, maybe you can do the same. You know, with the junior you were making out with this morning."

Matthew sends him another scowl.

***

"Heya, Aiden!" Tina cheerfully places her tray on the same table where Aiden is currently eating. She sits in front of Aiden with a massive smile.

The boy rolls his eyes, not even daring to say a word or to look up at her, though he is quite curious why Tina Hartley just sat with him.

"Soooo..." Tina starts a topic, "who gave those roses?"

Aiden shrugs his shoulders in response, his eyes still on his tray. So AJ's what she wants to talk about, how very predictable.

Tina chuckles after swallowing the food she's chewing. "Don't be shy to admit it, Aiden."

Aiden finally meets her big brown eyes with a weird look, "Admit what?"

"Shiiiel mei who gave dzah flawwers?" Tina demands, her mouth full.

"Don't talk while your mouth is full." Aiden advises her, a little bit disgusted.

Tina swallows down the food she was chewing. "Sorry. So did you give me the roses?"

"I gave it to you, but I didn't actually buy it for you, if you know what I mean," Aiden answers truthfully, trying to avoid all the stares thrown in their direction. With Tina's reputation as the sweet well known talented pretty girl and Aiden's reputation as the dark quiet guy who used to hang out with the popular group, a lot of people are judging their unlikely get together.

"Do you like me?" Tina's question makes him drop his utensils with surprise.

Aiden clears his throat, "E-Eh what?"

"I said—"

"AIDEN KALIM HUNTER," a very familiar voice calls Aiden, which is no one else's but AJ's. Tina and Aiden look at AJ, whose eyebrows narrow. AJ has his tray on his hands, looking at Aiden knowingly.

Aiden sighs, getting up from his seat and following his best friend. "Can I have some of your chicken?" Aiden hears Tina ask him, but he doesn't bother to face back or respond.

"The girl's crazy," Aiden shares to AJ, "what the hell do you see in her?"

AJ does not answer his question, which makes Aiden wonder if he's mad at him or not. He didn't do anything wrong, so AJ has no right to get angry at him. It's Tina who sat with him, not the other way around.

I didn't even enjoy her companionship, Aiden says to himself, then he begins to wonder if he's lying or not.