scenario sixteen

Scenario number sixteen

Special Characters: Alexa, Mr. Wells, Mrs. Wells, Harry, Lewis, Eleanor, AJ, Aiden.

"Two more days and George is coming back." Alexa whimpers, still saddened that she has to wait more than 24 hours for George to come back. She wants to see him already, ready to bombard him with questions. Why hasn't he responded to any of my messages?

She snatches her backpack and looks at her reflection in the mirror, where she sees her light brown curls all tied up. She meets her beautiful blue eyes and smiles. "Just two more days. I can do this."

Alexa looks out of her window, deep in thought. She would often wake up and see George preparing breakfast. She sighs. No one except their parents know that her and George have been living together since people would often jump into conclusions.

Then an image of a familiar little child flashes in her mind, making her blink.

A knock interrupts Alexa's thoughts. She hasn't been expecting any visitors, especially now that her class is about to start in twenty minutes.

"Mr. Wells? Mrs. Wells? What are you two doing here?" Alexa asks, shocked and confused once she opens the door. "I thought you were in Marlion? Where's George?"

"Ah... Alexa.. George can't go back to school this Friday." Mr. Wells informs her sadly, trying to emphasize each of word.

An arrow hits Alexa's heart. She's been really excited about George's return. "Huh? How come? Did something happen to him?"

"N-no..." Mr. Wells stutters, not meeting Alexa's eyes. "It's because he d-doesn't want to come back..."

What? Alexa freezes, "What do you mean?"

"Please don't overthink about it dear... it's just that he really misses Marlion, so he decided to stay there--"

Alexa shakes her head, "No... that's not possible..."

"Just for a few more days." Mrs. Wells explains, "I'm sorry-"

"But he promised he'd return!" Alexa cries, "He didn't even respond to any of my messages. And he promised he'd come back... the finals. Exams. T-that doesn't sound like George at all."

"I wish we were lying." Mrs. Wells looks down at her shoes, "that's why he didn't bother calling or texting you. He flew us here since he wanted us to tell you in person. We're so sorry, Alexa."

He flew his parents here? Alexa lets out a depressing sigh, closing the door. "Th-Thanks for the information."

Mr. Wells stops her from closing the door, "Wait a minute, what about school? You're going to be late if-"

"J-just forget about it." Alexa mumbles and closes the door shut, bursting into sobs.

How can he just do that?

***

"It's better to tell her in advance than to let her keep her hopes up about George coming back this Friday." Mr. Wells remarks.

"We should've just told her the truth--"

"And what? She'll overthink about it and won't be able to concentrate when it comes to the finals! That isn't what George would want." Mr. Wells retorts. "We'll pay George's school a little visit tomorrow and tell Principal Benjamin about George's situation."

Mrs. Wells nods, a little bit guilty.

***

"It's very unusual for Alexa Howells to be absent." Ms. Angel, the Biology teacher, observes. "But I've heard about Aiden, I hope he's doing okay."

All eyes are now fixed on Tina.

AJ snickers, remembering what Aiden told him yesterday after he went out of the clinic.

<memory>

"I'm going to the mall tomorrow to spend time with my cousin." Aiden informed AJ, "I haven't seen her in two years already."

"Shouldn't you rest?" AJ frowned, trying to be concerned.

"I will, although Tina's punch didn't really hurt. Gotta go." Aiden groaned, still hurting.

"What time are you meeting your cousin tomorrow?" AJ asked Aiden with a grin.

"Six in the evening, I'm going to spend the entire morning watching Netflix tomorrow. Why do you ask?"

"Why don't you come to school instead? You're meeting her in the evening so--"

"Nah! Too lazy." Aiden responded. AJ tried his best not to make it obvious that he was glad Aiden wouldn't be able to come to class tomorrow.

AJ slowly nodded. "Well, see you tomorrow— I mean, on Thursday, man."

"See you."

<present>

Ms. Angel clasps her hands, interrupting AJ's thoughts. "Anyways, class, I hope you brought your materials today. Go to your partner and follow the instruct—"

"WHAT THE FUCK, WOMAN!?" A yell intensifies the classroom and the moods of the students, the voice coming from Harry Morris.

Ms. Angel's eyes widen when she sees Eleanor Rogers, who looks so worried. "What's going on?" 

"Looks like someone forgot to bring the materials, AGAIN!" Harry grumbles, his hands on his hips.

"That is very irresponsible, considering that it's almost the finals. I'm very disappointed." Ms. Angel comments, unsatisfied.

Eleanor clears her throat, "Ms. Angel, can we do it tomorrow?"

"I'm sorry, Miss Rogers, but I'm going to have to give you and Harry an F." Ms. Angel firmly declines, "this is your performance task, and it can affect 40% of your grade in my subject."

"They can borrow materials from my partner and I, Ms. Angel." Lewis Oliver politely offers.

Ms. Angel shakes her head disapprovingly. "Sharing is prohibited."

An awful and awkward silence enters the scene. Grouchily, Harry walks out of the classroom without permission.

"Excuse me, Mr. Morris! Where are you going—" Ms. Angel runs out and turns right, then left, "what is that boy up to!?"