scenario nine

Scenario number nine

Special Characters: Darren, May, Mr. Beethoven, Mr. McConnell, Mrs. McConnell, Mikaela.

The last few hours are a blur for Darren. What he remembers is that his dad, Mr. Beethoven, called to tell him that his mom was pregnant with a baby girl.

"Do you have any names for your sister?" Mr. Beethoven squeaked excitedly.

"I don't. But I do hope you'll have time for her when she's born. You can't even be here for my sister and I, how much more with an additional sibling?" was Darren's response, ending the call.

Darren's eyes then widened when he saw Alvin and May, getting into a heated argument. It got worse when Alvin slapped May, who was crying.

What Darren remembered was that he stopped Alvin and ended up getting beaten up.

Darren's eyes slowly start to open. The first thing he sees is an image of a beautiful girl.

And it isn't Gemma Sminters.

"Why did you have to do it?" May asks Darren, whose face is bruised. She gently wraps the ice with tissues and places it on Darren's forehead. His head is on her lap, and they're on a comfy couch. "Why did you have to defend me?"

Darren lightly coughs. His head is spinning, and he feels like shut. "It was the right thing to do. Your boyfriend is kind of violent, why do you put up with him anyway?" Darren shares his observation weakly.

May sighs. "My mother and father don't approve of him, but I tried to ignore any of their comments. Alvin is sort of controlling but we've only been dating for weeks and who knows what people might say when we break up—"

"You seriously care what other people think?" Darren pouts, his face crumpling into disgust.

"Who's there?" A middle-aged couple enters the living room together with a teenage girl who looks like an older version of May.

Darren can only squint his eyes. Oh fuck. I'm in May's house. A thought sinks in. What will John think?

"Hi Mom, Hi Dad." May hugs her parents and smiles at her sister, Mikaela.

Mr. McConnell's eyes focus on the man whose head used to be on May's lap. May clears her throat, uncomfortably. "This is Darren Beethoven, my classmate."

"Beethoven? As in Ian and Ria's son?" Mr. McConnell exclaims, shocked.

"Y-yes..." Darren's voice falters, starting to be shy. What if his parents and May's parents aren't in good terms?

Mikaela chuckles, "So you're the irritating, overconfident and weird brother of Alicia."

"Mika!" Mrs. McConnell scolds May's sister.

"What? That's exactly how Ali described her brother." Mikaela rolls her eyes.

"How come you know Darren's family?" May questions her parents.

Mr. McConnell grins. "The Beethovens and our family are pretty good friends. I was the reason why Ian and Ria met. If it wasn't for me, Ian wouldn't have gone to Latrineth which is where Ria was."

"There's no harm with you dating Darren." Mrs. McConnell clasps her hands, "I'm happy for the both of you."

"Yeah, you guys are going to make such beautiful babies!" Mikaela exclaims, "I'm really good with being sister-in-laws with Ali."

Mrs. McConnell shoots her a what-the-hell-did-you-just-say look and turns to Darren. "I like you for my daughter rather than that Alvin Carter boy."

"Mom—"

"I can't wait for you guys to get married." Mr. McConnell smirks.

"Um, sir—"

"Alicia would love to be the maid of honor, and I'd rather be one of the bridesmaids." Mikaela dreamily squeaks.

"WE AREN'T DATING!" May screams.

Darren can't help but smile a little, May looks pretty cute when she gets angry. He can see her cheeks turning pink.

Mr. McConnell sighs, "That's too bad, you guys would make a wonderful couple."

May looks away, "Dad.. you're embarrassing me."

"What happened to him, by the way?" Mikaela asks. "Why does he have a lot of bruises and scars?"

Darren and May turn to each other silently.