Angles of Hope

Angles of Hope ~~~

"Angles?" Evan groans, squinting his eyes at the white board with an uninterested look on his face. "Why is this our new topic?"

"It's fun, plus it's easy." Ivory joins the conversation, placing her hand on Evan's shoulder. "I can always tutor you if you want."

Evan smiles at Ivory. They've been friends since kindergarten and he's glad that he has someone like her. "It's fine." Evan assures her before getting up to leave the classroom for lunch.

"I have a question for you." Jonas, Evan's best friend, gets up to walk alongside him on the way to the cafeteria. "Will your father attend Family Day?"

Evan turns to him, not saying anything.

"I haven't seen him yet, where is he?" Jonas questions him curiously.

Evan runs a hand through his messy black hair with a pout. "Mom says he's working abroad," Evan supplies flatly. "I haven't seen him since I was two years old anyway. He's always.. busy."

"Since you're twelve now... you haven't seen him for ten years!?" Jonas exclaims, shocked. "Whoa! You must miss him a lot, huh?"

"I'm not sure." Evan responds honestly. "Like I said, it's been years since I last saw him. Who knows what happened to him?" Mom doesn't like talking about him much anyway.

Jonas clears his throat. "Excuse me for saying this but you seem a little... cold about him."

"Of course I am. He left us." Evan murmurs bitterly.

"Don't hate him, he's working abroad so that your mom can pay for your tuition and stuff." Jonas tells him. "If it wasn't for your dad, who knows what would've happened to you and your mom now?"

Evan lets Jonas's words sink in. Maybe I HAVE been selfish, after all. "I should've thought that through," Evan sighs "Thanks."

"Anytime," Jonas smiles. "It's just that it's really important not only to look and judge a situation based on our view of the angle, but to attend and listen to the perspectives of the others as well."