scenario twenty-three

[Edited ]
Scenario number twenty-three

Special Characters: John, May, Darren, Gemma.

"I don't know why she's acting like that." May mumbles sadly. "It's like I lost half of myself..."

"Don't be sad, May. I'm sure it'll be okay, it's Gemma we're talking about... she doesn't hold grudges." John smiles reassuringly.

May flashes him a friendly look. "You and her have been getting pretty cozy."

"Let's just say that Gemma and I have been getting pretty close." John grins, "just like you and Darren."

Darren makes a face. "Not true."

Awkward silence ~

"Don't worry, I'll have a little chat with Gemma. There's probably a reason why she's acting like that, did you ask why?" John asks, concerned.

Darren fights the urge to scoff.

"I tried to ask her but she rejected me. She didn't even want to look at me in the eye." May answers, shrugging her shoulders.

Darren decides to join the conversation. "Maybe Alvin said something... isn't it weird that Gemma and him just randomly kissed?"

John nods, "definitely odd."

"One minute Gemma and I hated Alvin, and the next minute — she was kissing my ex-boyfriend." May grumbles, "it's really weird. It's not like Gemma at all!"

John could see the sadness in May's eyes. "I have to go."

"Huh?"

"I have to go." John repeats solemnly, leaving May and Darren before they can say anything.

Mag turns to Darren. "Before it was usually you who would walk away from the conversation, leaving John and Gemma behind."

"I get what you mean." Darren grins, "so.... want me to walk you home?"

May smiles. "I'd love that."

"May, I need to tell you something." Darren blushes, "but you can't tell anybody, especially John... he'll freak out once he—"

"I like you too."

Darren's eyes widen, "huh?"

May blushes, embarrassed. "S-sorry, that came our wrong."

"I like... you, May." Darren blurts out uneasily. May takes a deep breath. "I know this is wrong... my best friend likes you but..." He looks up at her, "I can't seem to get you out of my head."

***

John sees Gemma, waving goodbye to Alvin. "Gemma, I need to talk to you."

Gemma frowns. "If you're here to talk about May, count me out."

"The poor girl didn't do anything!" John snaps.

"She stole Darren from me! Can't you see that they secretly like each other!?" Gemma retorts fiercely, "or maybe you're just too stupid to see that!?"

John gapes at her. "Who told you all that!? It's probably just a lie! Plus, Darren has never been yours."

"Alvin told me, and I don't see why I can't trust him!" Gemma returns boldly.

"For fuck's sake, Gemma! You can't trust that guy! He abused your best friend—"

"I don't care, John. My heart is broken and so is my entire body." Gemma interrupts him, waking away. "That includes my brain."

John whines. "Gemma, wait!"

Gemma continues walking while John continuously follows her to the main entrance, suddenly stopping.

"Thank goodness you—" John pauses when he sees Darren and May, kissing each other.

Gemma slowly turns to John with a neutral expression. "See what I mean?"

John continues staring at Darren and May. He doesn't actually feel angry or upset, just a little shocked. "Gemma, are you still dating Alvin?"

"Alvin and I never dated." Gemma confesses, "we were just pretending.... for revenge."

John goes near Gemma, cupping her cheek with his right hand. "Then you wouldn't mind if I do this." John doesn't even hesitate to kiss Gemma, whose heart flutters. Behind them, both May and Darren pull themselves apart.

"JOHN!? GEMMA!?" A voice interrupts their intimate moment.

John, Gemma, May and Darren are now glaring at each other. "I-I'm sorry, J-John." Darren stammers stupidly.

"Sorry for ruining our kiss? Or sorry for kissing the girl I admire?" John returns.

"If you liked May, then why'd you kiss Gemma?" Darren pouts, dumbfounded.

"It was to get back at you, because I thought you liked her too!" John hollers, "but all this time, you were just pretending!"

Gemma gulps. "Calm down, John.. I know the feeling."

"The feeling of what, Gem!? You kissed my ex-boyfriend and started ignoring me ever since!" May grunts.

"IT WAS FOR REVENGE! Alvin told me that you had feelings for Darren, and I felt so betrayed—" Gemma begins.

"Oh, and you believed him!?"

"WHAT WAS I SUPPOSED TO DO!?" Gemma stomps her feet, "besides, it is true, isn't it? If it isn't, why were the both of you kissing each other!? It's your fault why we're in this situation, May!"

May remains silent. She can't help but feel guilty. If she never developed feelings for Darren, none of this would've happened. "Gemma.... I'm sorry."

Gemma sniffs, running away to the main gate of the school. "Just forget it!"

"Gemma!" John shouts, "watch out!"