scenario thirteen

Scenario number thirteen

Special Characters: John, Darren, Lewis, Eleanor, Harry, Xenia.

Dismissal.

"Darren, wait up!" John notices that his best friend has been distant lately, so he catches up with Darren before he can go home.

Darren turns to John with a sheepish grin. "What is it?" he tries to sound interested, but inside, something's bothering him. How should I tell John that I ended up in May's house? Honestly, Darren has been avoiding John to think of how to share the topic to him without making him feel bad.

"I heard that my girl took you to her place after you defended her from Alvin Carter." There's an unlikely confidence in John's tone that makes Darren blink more than twice.

"Y-your g-girl...?" Darren stammers, "oh yeah, of course."

John sighs, "Soon to be my girl. By the way, don't stammer. It's me who does that, and you're the one who often is confident."

"Sorry" is Darren's one and only response, not bothering to expand any further.

"So.. is May still dating Alvin?"

Darren shrugs his shoulders, thankful for the shift change of conversation. "I don't know, but her parents weren't happy when they found out that Alvin hits her."

"Dammit." John murmurs with his head slightly shaking disapprovingly. "You were right, I should've made a move."

Darren looks at him. "You still like her?"

John raises an eyebrow at Darren and lets out a soft chuckle. "Yeah, I guess."

Darren can't help but smile and not say anything. Why am I feeling this way?

"Hey man, are you okay?" John questions Darren, noticing his unusual behavior.

Darren snaps back to reality. "It's just that my mother's pregnant with a baby girl a-and I was really expecting a brother." Darren supplies immediately to prevent any more suspicions.

John aahs, "That's okay, Wren. But I guess that means you're going to have another sister."

"You think that's actually a good thing?" Darren snorts, "I already have an older sister who's really annoying."

"You can have two girls help you do your makeup," John notes jokingly.

Darren playfully judges his shoulder, "Whatever, man."

"Look behind you," John half-whispers, his expression changing.

Darren turns, seeing May and Gemma. Gemma whispers something to May, who bursts out into a loud laugh. And with that laughter, something in Darren brightens as he sneaks a glance at his best friend, whose  gaze lingered on the source of the laughter.

Except John doesn't look at all dazzled, he looks just as confused as Darren feels deep down, which silently makes Darren curious.

***

"Can you believe it? Marco and Chloe are getting married!" Lewis exclaims, walking beside Eleanor as they make their way to their next class.

Eleanor heaves a sigh. "I know, it's too soon for them to do that."

Lewis glances at her and laughs. "I'm not against the idea — I love it."

Eleanor blinks at him. "Huh??"

Lewis blushes. "What if we get married too after graduation?"

Eleanor's heart skips a beat. Something inside her pops. "M-marriage?" What the hell? "What do you mean?"

"Nothing." Lewis doesn't meet her eyes, forming a thin smile. "Let's go out tomorrow after class."

"Lewis, it's Tuesday tomorrow.. and next week is the finals--"

"Please."

Eleanor smiles forcefully, "Okay, fine."

Lewis embraces Eleanor. "Thanks, babe. I'll head over now to Chemistry. See you after class." Lewis kisses Eleanor on the cheek and walks away from her, leaving her flustered.

Is he serious about proposing? Something crosses Eleanor's face. She clasps both of her hands and pouts. He can't be serious. Wait, shouldn't I be happy and excited? Eleanor sighs. I'm just overreacting. Maybe he meant it as a joke..

"Looks like someone's going to have a ring on their fourth finger too." Harry Morris giggles, making Eleanor whirl his direction.

She rolls her eyes. "Shut up, Harry. You're just envious because you never had a girlfriend."

"Why would I need one?" Harry shoots back. "They're a waste of time."

"How would you know!?" Eleanor snaps sharply, "you're a walking inhuman being"

Harry finds the title amusing, but doesn't comment about it. "You don't even know me." Harry remarks before walking past her, making his way to his class.

Just when the conversation seems to come to an end, Eleanor finds her voice again. "Th-then stop joining conversations next time!"

"You can't boss me around." Harry returns arrogantly, turning back at her one last time.

Eleanor gets furious. "You're not my boss too! So that means you can't judge me for saying that you're a walking inhuman being!"

"You should shut up before anyone else hears that silly title."

"SHUT UP!? You expect me to shut up!?" Eleanor glares at him, "well, guess what! You're not the boss of me, and I don't take orders from someone like you!" Eleanor proudly yaps, her hands on her hips.

Harry just grunts, amused. "Okay."

Eleanor narrows her eyes suspiciously. "What do you mean by 'okay'?"

Harry just shrugs his shoulders, not responding to Eleanor's question. However, he doesn't walk away. They both know they're around three minutes late for their next class, but none of them seem to let that bother them.

"So you're just going to ignore me now!? I can't believe you!" Eleanor shakes her head. "I hate you ever since you poured apple juice all over me back in freshman year!"

Harry smirks. "Okay, sure."

"STOP SAYING OKAY!!" Eleanor hisses.

"Geez, stop yelling," Harry groans. "You're like s baby," then he pauses, "do you want me to call you baby?" Harry winks.

Eleanor looks at him like he's gone crazy. "What the hell?"

"What? You're acting like one." Harry concludes nonchalantly.

Eleanor's face suddenly turns red, either because she's embarrassed, mad or maybe even... flattered.

"Don't call me your baby."

"I would, if..."

"If...?"

"If you were my boss," Harry finishes with a winning smile, "but like I said, you're not the boss of me."

Eleanor's fists clench. "YOU LITTLE BITCH—"

"Just rip each other's clothes already." Xenia comments from the side. Harry and Eleanor turn to her direction, sending her a glare. Xenia chuckles, leaving the two behind.

Harry looks back at Eleanor. "Goodbye, irresponsible baby. Until we meet again." Harry blows a kiss to Eleanor and leaves the scene, "oh, and don't forget our Chemistry materials. You're lucky the teacher considered."

Eleanor bites her lower lip. Ugh, ew. Something in her stomach begins to ache. Eleanor touches her cheeks and her eyes widen. Am I blushing??