The one who is not my mate

Harper P.O.V

I wrapped my arms around Alex's waist as he rested his chin on top of my head, there was an unspoken connection that bounced between us and we both hoped that we were mates but was faced with the truth on Alex's 16th birthday when he shifted.

I rest my nose against his jumper breathing in his scent that I had so deeply missed, letting the smell wrap around my petite frame.

We knew since were not destined to be mates that nothing could happen and once we both found ours it would be like nothing was ever felt between us, but at this moment with his body, against mine, I  felt like a sense of heaven.

My eyes pressed closed and I knew his eyes would be too, both of us too wrapped up in each other we had forgotten that we were standing in my kitchen with my family surrounding us.

A low cough eventually broke through the bubble me and Alex had placed ourselves in.

I reluctantly peeled myself away from his hold by standing close to him, I could feel his hand on the small of my back, just the sensation of his hand pressed against my body gave me comfort.

Facing towards my family a rose tint formed on my cheeks with embarrassment, even though it's just an innocent hug, my family understood, they understand the feelings and emotions attached to this relationship, and they were fine as long as we wouldn't give ourselves to each other the way we were meant to give ourselves to our mate. I knew that and even with the high level of love I felt for Alex I would never give him what was destined for my mate only and he felt the same way.

"Alex its a pleasure to see you back and healthy, welcome home."  My father outstretched his hand for Alex to shake, Alex dropped his bag off his shoulder and reached over the breakfast bar to shake the hand of his alpha, his hand never leaving my body. "Have you seen your father yet?"

Alex shook his head, "no sir, I came to yourself, Harper and Drew first?"

Alex and my older brother had grown up together were thought to be my brothers Beta just like his father had been to mine.

My father nodded and grinned, he had always accepted the relationship between Alex and me just never for other pack members.

My brother walked up to Alex shaking his hand before pulling him into a bear hug, Alex touch leaving my skin making me feel cold without his touch. I smiled as the two best friends were reunited after a year without each other.

"We have a lot of catching up to do buddy?" My brother joked with a sense of seriousness underneath. Alex and he shared a look that anyone else would have missed if they hadn't of been staring intently like I was, they both nodded and Alex face shifted into an uncomfortable scowl, to which I touch his hand again to cheer him up. The smile I love brightened the room again, his head turning toward me and his blue eyes looking into my golden ones. The family had busied themselves with eating the food so didn't see Alex mouth the words 'I miss you' I smiled and held his hand tighter. 

"Have you eaten dear?" My mother asked as she concentrated on the food in front of her, the small smile tugging at her lips.

"No but I'm going to eat with my father so I'm going to pop their now." I walked Alex to the door after he said goodbye to the people he calls his second family. I wrapped my arms around his tall, now well-built body. Breathing in his scent again. He kissed my forehead his eyes meeting mine.

"Meet me later, we will go walk around the grounds, I just want to spend time with you?"

I nodded and smiled before standing on the top of my toes to kiss his cheeks softly.