Chances

Harpers P.O.V

I'm not mad, I'm not mad. I kept repeating the same sentencing over again in my head trying to convince myself that I was completely fine meeting the girl that my mate has slept with on numerous occasions. 

Questions circled my mind, why was she wearing black? why did she think she was going to be the next Luna Queen? Why did she think she was his mate? These questions were driving me insane and I just needed the answers to put my mind at ease.

I found my way into the ballroom again and spotted an empty table on the far side of the large oval room. I stalked my way over the table, my black silk skirt trailing behind, my shoes clicking quietly with every step that I took. On my way, a waiter passed by holding a tray of crystal glasses filled with different beverages.  I turned my attention to him for a second before wrapping my dainty fingers around the thin shape of the glass, picking it up gently to be sure I didn't spill any of its alcoholic content. walking away from the waiter I slowly began to sip the champagne, my lipstick smearing the side of the glass. Eventually reaching the table I placed my body on one of the covered seats and sat watching the Lords and Ladies of the lycanthrope world danced with grace and elegance. The people who danced in front of me were the only people that knew of the Kings looks, the ones that he trusted enough to invite these people to his events to his home. These were the people that witnessed him grow into the man he has become. These were the people that would eventually look to me as the future Luna Queen, as they did with Jackson's mother.

I watched as the upbeat song turned into a slow piano instrumental, every gentleman lifted their hand out for their partner to take and brought them closer to their own body. I saw every face light up as they moved around the dance floor in time with the music wrapped up in their mate's arms. From my seat, I could see the Beta and his mate move in sync with each other, the smile clear on both of their faces. 

A small sadness washed over me as I watched as mates and friends filled the dance floor, a sad smile appeared on my lips as I watched the beauty in front of me, but wondered if I would ever be able to dance this dance with my mate. 

As I looked out into the sea of people, I didn't have to convince myself that I wasn't mad about what happened in the gardens. I didn't have to convince myself because I wasn't mad or sad. I knew that he had slept with someone and it was only a matter of time that I would eventually bump into her. I didn't expect to become aquatinted with her in such a violent manner, but I met her. 

It was looking at the people dancing in front of me that made me realise that if I kept holding on to the fact that he slept with one or numerous girls I would never be able to move on. Jackson made mistakes before I knew he was my mate and yes he knew I was his but it didn't take a genius to realise he regretted the thought of touching another girl who was not his mate.  I took another sip of the drink that was still in my hand and nodded to myself confirming that I was still willing to give him a chance to prove that he could be the mate that I deserve. He had still not earned my forgiveness but he was closer now then he was 5 days ago.

The questions still lingered in the back of my mind and I would get answers for them but they no longer seemed important, if I wanted Jackson to be able to prove himself to me then I have to be willing to show him that I am 100% committed to trying to make this work and asking hundreds of questions about his past relations would not do that.

Jacksons P.O.V

I looked away from Melissa hunched over form on the floor and turned around hoping to still find Harper. I knew from the faint smell of her scent that she was no longer there but I could at least have some faith that she was.