Chapter Sixteen

Harper P.O.V

I couldn't sleep. I was tossing and turning all night my dreams his face in my thoughts in my dreams, an ounce of me felt sorry for causing him pain, but then I remember the pain he caused me and how it's nowhere near equivalent to the pain and suffering in my heart when I found out he was my mate.

I looked over at the clock on the bedside table and saw that it was 4 o'clock in the morning. I heard quiet voices mumbling outside from outside in the garden. The king guard training must have started. Knowing that I wouldn't be getting sleep for the rest of the day I bounced out of my bed and headed towards the wardrobe grabbing workout clothes.

I changed into running leggings and a crop top before tying my hair into a high ponytail. I brushed my teeth and ran down to the field. I saw all the men warming up and I felt their eyes on me along with the kings. I walked past them all and directed myself towards the training centre on the other of the field. I broke into a gentle jog the door to the centre getting closer.

I pushed stepped into the revolving door and pushed for the door to move. I was again amazed by how high tech and equipped it was. I started running the track doing a couple of laps before stretching out loosening my muscles.
Once I finished I headed towards the rack of weapons examining what I would practice with. I settled for a wooden staff. I began picking each one individually testing the weight and the length turning it around in my hand. I began beating it against the side of the training dummies. Testing to see if I could work with a weapon. I found the right weight and length before moving to the centre of the training mat, moving in motion with the weapon.

Move left, step right, swing round the head and forward, I repeated the same process for an hour before changing the technique before adding movements of distraction. A sweat was forming on my forehead, I walked over to where I placed my water and towel, grabbing it and dabbing the beads of sweats and drinking half the bottle of water. I heard the door move as I was putting the bottle down. The smell of sweat and plastic was too strong for me to identify the scent. It wasn't until his hand picked up the piece of wood laying behind me that I realised it was Jackson.

I kept my back toward him making it seem like his presence did not make my heart beat faster and sweat build up on my palms.
"You're up early" he said I just nodded still ignoring his words.
He places the stick I was using back on the rack next to the others, but as he was about to drop it in place, I grabbed the stick holding it in my hand.

"I was using it."  He looked down at me with mischief in his eyes and grabbed the stick that was placed next to mine.
"And I'm using this one. Care to join me."
I wanted to say no but my wolf spoke for me excited that he was having a conversation with us that did not consist of yelling and apologise.

"Sure" we made way to the mat placing the staff length ways holding it in both hands.  Both waiting for each other to make the first move.
He lunged first but I dodge moving back and surprising him by taking the wooden stick and swiping it at the back of his knees making him fall.
"You underestimated me, I trained to be a warrior much to my father's wishes not to"
I could see the smirk on his face "Okay, now that I know I don't have to go easy, let's fight." 

He got low to start fighting a glint in his eyes that distracted me making it easy for him to tackle time they way I just had.
Jackson reached out his hand to help me up but I slapped it away.

"I don't need your help." 

We went at each other for 10 minutes both getting hits and knocking our opponent off guard. He went left so I went right, his wooden object hitting me in the side more times than mine hit his. He was obviously a better fighter than me, he was the alpha king but I wouldn't admit it.
It was when he got the upper hand and was able to place the stick on my heart, hoovering it that I knew I had lost, but at that point, something clicked inside me.

"Why did you stop, you might as well hit me in the heart it's not like you haven't broken it already."
He looked taken back at my words and the pain apparent in his eyes.

I stopped talking and began fighting with him again the loud bang of the sticks making contact was the only sound until he decided to talk.

"I said I was sorry." He said while we continued to fight.

"Do you think sorry is going to fix the pain you have caused me, I'm sick of having this conversation. I'm sorry that I fell in love with someone, not you and  I'm sorry you like to fuck girls that are not your mate. But I won't apologise for hating you for that."
He stopped fighting at the last minute making my weapon come in contact with his face, I dropped it in shock that I just hit him.

"Why didn't you defend yourself?"
No reply, I watched as the blood began to drop from his eye.

"Why didn't you defend yourself?" I asked again, but still no reply.

"Why didn't you defend yourself?" I yelled.

He just shrugged his shoulders, his eyes held no emotion.

"Nothing I do will be good enough for you, I fucked up I know and I regret it more than you can ever imagine. But it has been a week since you came here and I'm still apologising, and I will be for the rest of my life but you haven't even given me a chance, a chance to show you me, me as the man who will love you till the end of time, who will protect you and make you feel special and love. But all you do is question me without knowing me. I'm sorry but I can't keep fighting with you, I'm just not mentally strong for that."
He dropped the weapon on the floor, I closed my eyes in pain as he walked away.
I heard him stop and his voice resonates through the hall.

"We have a ball in a week, hopefully, you can give me a chance by then, if not you are free to go, I will let you go back to your pack and be with Alex."

I was shocked at his words and something inside me changed. I didn't want Alex anymore. I wanted my mate even if it was the man that I once hated.

*****

Here is the next chapter, hope you like it

comment and vote 

Louise x