Chapter Thirteen

Alpha Kings Jackson P.O.V

I picked up our bags taking them to the car, I believed we were no longer welcome in this pack. 

Whilst Harper was sorting out her things I discussed with the Alpha that arrangements for Eddie and the three other children. He accepted and placed them all with new families.

When Harper descended the staircase the previous conversation she just had with her brother was lingering the air. All I could think when she was yelling at her family was that it was all my fault, I asked them to keep it from her, I should have let her know. 

When she turned to me and bowed, I had never felt more ashamed of being a king than I had at the point in my life. She made me feel so worthless and weak just from bowing and uttering words that get spoken to me more than 10 times a day.

I watched as Harper left her house without saying goodbye to her family, she climbed into the back of the car, tears on the brim of her eyes, that was all my fault and I felt sick with guilt.She sat in the back, her hands playing with the hem of her top.She glanced out the window avoiding looking at me when I got into the back of the car next to her.

She pushed herself closer to the door in her best attempt to get as far away from me. It pained my heart that she could stand to be in the same proximity as me.

My beta sat in the front next to the head of my warriors driving. The silence was not comfortable, all that could be heard was the odd heavy sigh from Harper and the texting of Ben on his phone.

I looked over at her and noticed that a single tear had escaped her eye and was falling down her cheek. I understood that she was sad she had every right and all I wanted to do was soothe her pain but she would not let me near her without a sense of discomfort let alone comfort her in a time of need.

Eventually, within the 8th hours of the journey home, Harper fell asleep. The soft sound of her breathing made me smile even in her sleeping slumber she still held beauty and elegance. A strand of hair fell into her face, I reached over my side of the car and tucked it behind her ear. my hand lingering on her cheek longer than she would have liked. She moved slightly into my hand and I could have sworn her lips lifted up into a smile but was gone as quick as I saw it.

I let my hand lingers slightly longer before removing it from her sweet tanned skin. I looked up and saw Ben examining my actions from the rear view mirror, a sad smile sitting on his face.

"She will forgive you." I sighed looking towards my feet.

"Just remember how I first treated Julia when we first found out that we were mates and how she hated me. Now, look at us."

I nodded at Benjamin's words sighing before pressing my hand underneath my chin and watching the scenary past me by. 

After 7 more hours, we reached the gates of the castle walls. I hadn't slept but both Harper and Ben were asleep. the gates of the palace were opening the place that I called home standing proudly in the centre of the grounds, a palace of great beauty and power but this was not how I pictured bringing my mate to the palace, to her new home.

The car drove and parked out front the back steps, the head warrior getting out and grabbing the bags resting them outside the door for the maids to collect and place in either mine or Harpers chose room.

Ben awoke from the gentle closing of the boot door but Harper still quietly asleep. I nodded in Bens direction as he left to go and find his mate from one of the vehicles behind. I looked over admiringly at my sleeping mate. I reached over placing my hand on her shoulder stroking it slightly whilst repeating her name trying to wake her.