Chapter Sixty-Five

|Remy|

I sat across from Mercedes who couldn't keep that stupid ass grin off her face. Jamal occupied the seat next to me while my grandmother sat a cup of tea in front of us. Mercedes had called us a day earlier, informing us about the status of her abortion. She claimed she wanted us to see a few documents of proof, which peaked my interest.

"I'm glad y'all are back in town. I was worried about you girl. Don't ever run off like that again, worry an old lady to death," my grandmother said as she took a seat in the chair across from me.

"I'm sorry NaNa, I just had to leave before I snapped somebody's child neck. Next time I'll let you know before I go," I said sarcastically.

"Chile don't get sassy now. What brings y'all by anyways," she asked with an attitude.

"Nothing we just came to see you, that's all," I lied. Jamal was staring a hole through Mercedes and he didn't care who was watching him. I kneed him under the table, to get him to snap out of it. The last thing I needed was for my grandma to become suspicious of Jamal. Once you rubbed her the wrong way, you were a done deal. 

"Mhmm, I know that ain't the only reason why y'all came to visit. Your mother and George are coming over for dinner today, I hope you plan on staying this time instead of running out like the last time," my grandmother scolded as she struggled to get out her chair. I stood up and helped my grandmother up while Mercedes made faces at Jamal. I knew she was only doing that to get under his skin and I prayed Jamal could control his anger.

"Jamal why don't you go help my grandmother out in the kitchen. She probably could use your help, getting around," I suggested. My grandmother smiled at Jamal as he stood to his feet.

"Remy darling I tell you, you are one lucky woman. This man is a blessing from above," my grandmother flirted.

"More like in disguise," Mercedes mumbled. Jamal blushed at my grandmother as they walked towards the kitchen. I waited until I no longer could see them, before picking up a cup of tea and throwing it in her face. She gasped as she pulled her shirt up to wipe the substance from her face.

"What the hell is wrong with you," she yelled.

"You're what's wrong! I came here for one reason and if you do or say anything stupid, I'm taking all my money and leaving," I snapped. She glared at me as she wiped her face with a napkin.

"I do as I please Remy, besides I thought you and Jamal understood that I was in control. This is my show and I'm running it. You don't make commands you follow orders. I'm the one with the upper hand," she said boldly. I scoffed and looked her up and down.

"Upper hand? Bitch you lost that title when you got an abortion. I hope you put that money to good use because that's all you're going to be getting. Now show me the papers now," I demanded. She rolled her eyes as she pulled a folded up piece of paper from her pocket and threw it at me.

"I used the money Jamal gave me to get the abortion. It was only fifteen hundred dollars. I need more money to get  my boyfriend out of jail," she said with an attitude. I nodded my head as I read over the paper. Once I seen that everything was legit, I folded the paper up and stuck not into my bra.

"Did you not just hear what I said," I questioned as I took a seat at the table. She shifted in her chair and eyed me.

"I heard exactly what you said and I said I need more money," she snapped.

"Mercedes that was over ten G's in that shoe box. You wanna know how I know, because I'm the one who counted it. Now I have no idea how you blew through all that money in less than a week but I do know that you aren't getting anymore. All I needed was confirmation that you got an abortion and now I have it. Let this be a lesson, never try and cross a bitch that's been in this game four years longer than you," I advised her. Mercedes scoffed and stood to her feet.