4

Adora

The one day I needed to be off early, I wasn't.

Alessandra was supposed to be home at her normal time, but she was running behind.

An hour behind.

Santiago cautiously paced around the living room, checking his watch every few seconds. "She should definitely be home by now. She should be home, and showered, and getting the boys settled down, actually."

"I'm sure she's just stuck in traffic," I reassured, my respect for him growing, considering he was so worried about his wife.

"Thank you for that," he sarcastically replied, shooting me the the most unwelcoming look he possibly could.

I sighed heavily and crossed my left leg over my right, tapping my foot repeatedly.

I could feel his eyes on me and I just looked up at him, cautiously darting my eyes away from him after we held a gaze more than three seconds.

"What's got you so impatient?" He asked, cocking an eyebrow up in my direction.

I jutted my bottom lip out and shook my head slowly. "Nothing, why do you ask?"

"You're tapping your foot, and it's annoying."

I stopped tapping my foot, looking up at him. "I have a date."

I could see the lack of concern on his face. "Great?"

I sighed, shaking my head. "That's why I'm impatient, or whatever you said I was."

"Well you can leave, if you do wish."

"It's six forty-five, and I clock out at seven. Fifteen more minutes won't kill me."

"Smart girl, you can count."

I scoffed, rolling my eyes. "Has anyone ever told you that you're mood-swingish?"

"That's not an actual term, so no, you're the first."

I stood up and grabbed my bag, brushing past him slightly as I grabbed my phone from the table beside him.

"I'm sorry," I said, slinging my bag over my shoulder.

I couldn't help but to look at him after he didn't respond, and I noticed the way his eyes were piercing into me.

"Okay," I drawled, "you know-"

The door flew open and in Alessandra stumbled, brushing her messy hair out of her face. She buttoned another button of her shirt up, turning around only to see Santiago's narrowed eyes now piercing into her.

I'd much rather his eyes pierce into her than me. It's scary.

She held the same blank expression I did as I flickered my eyes from Santiago to her.

"Do you know how worried you had me?"

She just bit down on her bottom lip. "I'm sorry, work traffic was horrendous."

I watched him slowly take steps towards her, his hands in the pockets of his slacks. "Work traffic isn't usually that bad at six thirty."

I could tell he was suspicious, and when he darted his eyes down to her exposed chest, his suspicion was even more obvious.

He just looked down, shaking his head as he clenched his prominent jaw. "You can clock out now, Adora."

I just bit down on my bottom lip and brushed past him again. "I'll see you tomorrow."