43

Adora

I woke up with an unfamiliar skip in my step, even though Brenna and I were still not on speaking terms. I'd had such a blissful morning yesterday, and that had seemingly influenced my days moving forward.

"Good morning," I pleasantly greeted, a smile on my face as I walked into the kitchen.

"You got mail," Brenna groggily muttered, sliding it across the counter.

I sloppily threw it to the corner of the counter, walking over to Landon. "What's cooking?"

"Breakfast."

I gripped my hip and he smiled over at me. "It's the usual, pancakes, because someone can't go to the store with that nice paycheck that she's got."

"She's getting more than a paycheck," Brenna muttered, tearing open an envelope made out to her.

"I'm brushing that comment off, and sorry. I've been relatively busy lately."

"You mean hanging out with daddy King?"

"Funny." I sat on a stool, folding my arms on the counter. I reached for my mail and opened it, freezing when I saw a wedding invitation in my hand.

I knitted my brows together, biting down on my bottom lip.

Brenna and Landon both detected my confusion. I turned the invitation around for them to see, shaking my head.

I shook my head. "It's probably a joke."

I was convincing myself. I grabbed my jacket, walking out of the apartment without a bite to eat, or even a single word. I drove to Santiago's house, taking a few small glances at the wedding invite when I had the chance.

I parked in Santiago's driveway, turning my car off. I was convinced my eyebrows were in a natural furrow by now. I slowly opened my door and walked up to the house, reaching towards the door to find it unlocked.

I froze. I saw Santiago holding a box, Alessandra standing in front of me gripping her hips.

"Hi," Alessandra greeted, "it's so nice seeing you again, it's been a while."

I attempted words, but I was failing. I'd severely missed something.

She walked over to me and wrapped an arm around my neck, pulling me in for a hug. I wouldn't even dare look in Santiago's direction, so I lowered my eyes to the floor and kept them there.

"Is there something you need?" She asked, giving me the warmest smile as she pulled away from me.

I shook my head slowly. "I, uh, I just wasn't sure if I needed to babysit today."

"Oh, no!" She giggled, a hand on my shoulder, "actually, you can be relieved of your duties, since I'm going to be back around."

It felt as if tons of bricks had fallen on my chest. I was genuinely confused, but more hurt than confused.

I gently bit down on my lip and finally gained the courage to look in Santiago's direction. I was absolutely sure my face was conveying everything I couldn't say.

His eyes softened up and he mouthed something that wasn't recognizable. I looked away from him and plastered on a fake smile.