37

Adora

Brenna leaned back against the massage chair, smiling contently. I matched her smile, holding my hand up. "I haven't seen my nails done since I was, like, twelve."

She giggled and sat upright. "So," she began, "the job's been going well? You don't seem as stressed."

I froze. "Uh, yeah."

She looked over at me and smiled. "You know, I love seeing you happy, love."

I looked over at her. "What's that mean?"

"I love seeing you not stressed. I love seeing you smiling twenty-four seven. It's about time you're happy."

I smiled and she grabbed my hand. "I won't mess up the nails," she whispered, winking.

Why exactly was I so happy? Well, I wasn't sure I had an answer I was willing to give.

I looked over at her. "Off the subject of me, please. What's been going on with you and Zayn?"

She lifted an eyebrow. "Why do you ask?"

"Come on, Brenna, we've been over this. It's obvious there's something there."

She rolled her eyes. "I like Zayn. He's a good guy, but I don't know, Adds. He's a party boy, you know."

"Was a party boy. How long has it been since he's been to a party?"

"The other night," she rather quietly deadpanned.

I could feel her defeat. She was into Zayn, whether she'd admit it or not. "Well, he's got to be the most mellow party boy I've ever met."

She shook her head, sighing. "It's just that he's famous for trying to piss his dad off."

"I think he's changed a little bit, Bren," I said, "he'll admit to you that yeah, that was his intention before he grew up."

She angled her body towards mine. "I don't want to get into something that's going to beat me up in the long run. And it's not even that I could even like him in that way, I don't think. He's just a genuinely good friend, you know?"

I nodded slowly. "I think you're trying to convince yourself."

"I can truthfully say the single life is cool," she said, "I used to be afraid to be alone, you know? It's actually pretty nice, though. Like, if you see a guy out in public and think that he's going to father your children, you're not going to feel bad when you're single."

I giggled. "I guess I can understand that concept. Or maybe not."

She shrugged with a smile. "I don't know. But come on, Adds, you have to have an interest in at least one guy here."

I looked over at her. Was it time to tell her?

"Actually, Bren, I want to tell you-"

"Ooh! Our face masks are done." She peeled hers off and I just looked over at her, biting down on my bottom lip.

I eventually peeled my mask off and threw it away. Maybe that was the universe, or Brenna's mouth, intervening and telling you that it's not the time.

"What were you saying, love?" She asked, looking over at me as she bit down on a strawberry.

I shook my head. "I actually can't even remember."

She just smiled and grabbed my hand. "Today has been such a great girls day. Much needed."

I plastered on a fake smile and nodded. "Yeah, much needed."