33

Santiago

My eyes fluttered open, a smile immediately crossing my face at the boys' faces hovering above mine.

"Sorry."

I looked up and saw Adora leaning against the threshold, a sweet smile on her face. "I was told to be here at nine, I think someone's running late."

I rubbed my tired eyes. "It's already nine?"

"It's actually 9:16," she said, her eyes fixated on her watch, "so you should probably get up and moving."

The boys jumped off of the bed and raced out of the room, leaving Adora and I in my bedroom. I pushed the comforter off of my body, slowly standing.

"I guess the fun thing about being your own boss is that you can't really be late, huh?"

I smiled, slipping into a pair of sweatpants. "Good morning."

She smiled a pleasant smile. "There's coffee made downstairs."

"I'm assuming there's a five star meal cooked as well?" I joked.

"I mean, there can be," she said, "but I'm right here if you're just starving."

I turned around to face her, a suggestive smile crossing my face. "Yeah?"

"Mm hmm," she muttered, walking towards me, "too bad you're running late..."

"You said so yourself, the fun of being my own boss is that I can't technically be late."

She pressed a hand against my bare abdomen. "I'll go cook you something."

She stood on her tip toes, her breath against my neck. "Papí."

She smiled against my skin, walking out of my bedroom.

Is it normal for girls her age to be that much of a tease?

I braced my palms on my dresser, looking in the mirror. I found it impossible to think of anything except her.

I took my habitual morning shower and threw on unusual civilian clothes. I ran downstairs to find Adora and the boys watching TV.

"SpongeBob is such a goof, isn't he," she laughed out, along with the boys.

"Hey, Addy, how about you be Sandy, Fred is Patrick, and I'm SpongeBob!" Josiah giggled out, earning a smile from me.

"Sounds like a plan." She reached over to give him a high-five before looking over her shoulder at me. She shot me an innocent smile, lifting an eyebrow.

I knew that smile wasn't innocent. I knew what was behind the smile, and it wasn't innocence.

She stood, rubbing Freddy's hair before walking into the kitchen. She looked up at me as she walked past.

"You're staying home today?" She asked, bracing her elbows on the counter.

"Yeah," I muttered, brushing past her. I looked down at the plate in front of me, which held a delectable waffle.

"I hope you like waffles."

I looked over at her as I took a bite. "I love waffles."

I walked into the living room, sitting on my end of the couch. She sat beside me, and my arm instinctively wrapped itself around her shoulders.

I hastily pulled away from and cleared my throat, earning a quiet giggle.

"We're watching SpongeBob as a family!" Josiah enthusiastically said, smiling over at us.