17

daddy's home

Adora

I rested my chin on the arm of the couch as I watched the rain beat down on the concrete outside, and I felt an arm wrap around my own.

"Niñera, I'm scared."

I hugged Freddy closer to me, and Josiah climbed in my lap.

"Let's finish this episode of SpongeBob. We have to see if he gets out of the wringer!"

The boys giggled and I just hugged them tighter to me.

"We missed you, niñera."

I smiled and pressed kisses to both of their heads. "I missed you boys more than you'll ever know!"

Santiago should've been home by this time. Alessandra wasn't supposed to be home until later.

Why was I concerned about Santiago, anyways?

"When is papí going to be home?" Josiah asked, burrowing his face in my chest, "I miss him."

"He'll be home soon, I promise."

Josiah climbed out of my lap and snuggled up to his brother, and I stood up and walked over to my phone that was on the charger.

No calls, no texts, nothing.

I cautiously dialed Santiago's number and pulled my phone up to my ear. It rang and rang and rang until I was sent to his voicemail.

Okay. No big deal. Attempt number two.

Another no answer.

I could feel my heart starting to beat quickly, and I dialed his number a third time.

And he didn't answer.

I placed my phone on the counter and slid into one of the stools against the bar, pursing my lips together. Was he okay? Was he stuck in traffic? Why was he not home yet?

I shot the boys a glance only to find them both asleep. I smiled and grabbed a blanket, covering them up. I pressed kisses to their temples and bit down on my bottom lip, shoving my hands in my back pockets.

I basically ran to my phone when it vibrated, but I sighed and placed it back down when I noticed it wasn't Santiago.

I leaned against the counter and folded my arms over my chest, looking over at the clock to the left of me.

8:33 P.M.

"Come on, Santiago," I muttered to myself, closing my eyes.

About the time that I started to doze off against the counter, the door flew open. My eyes snapped open and Santiago rushed inside, shrugging out of his drenched coat. He shook his head a few times and water flew everywhere, and when his eyes finally met mine, he wiped the rest of his face.

"You know, legend says that if you take a picture it'll last longer."

He shot me a charming smile and I rolled my eyes, pushing myself off of the counter.

"You had the boys worried sick."

"I'm sure it was just the weather," he reassured, popping open a few buttons on his shirt. I closed my eyes and looked away, folding my arms over my chest.

"No, it wasn't the weather." I followed him into the kitchen and he grabbed a glass from the cabinet, cocking an eyebrow up in my direction.

"Yeah, how do you know that?" He asked, grabbing his bottle of Scotch off of the wine rack.

"Because they asked when papí was going to be home," I deadpanned, and he chuckled as he poured his drink.